Bexley Maths - How did yours do?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
crystaltips

Bexley Maths - How did yours do?

Post by crystaltips »

Just got back from picking up my son who sat his first 11 plus exam today. He didn't complete and his teacher was saying that this was par for the year group. Pace was severely down on normal levels. Is this a blip in our school or have other schools found this too?
Sue
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Anything to do with the tests being just after the school hols? :?
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

My son usually managed to complete all the Nfer practice papers in time at home but had to guess the last few of the actual test.

They are all a couple of months younger that they would gave been in previous years and it doesn't sound like they made the test any easier so i thinks that may be why they all seem a bit slower.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

I don't think the authorities had any intentions of making the tests easier. They are probably exactly the same tests that they have used in previous years. Instead the children will get lower marks. This shouldn't matter though as the top 25% - or whatver the figure is - will still pass. The pass mark wll be moved about accordingly.
crystaltips

Post by crystaltips »

I did support the idea of earlier results but I think this Y6 are not going to get pass rates as high as previous years if pace has dropped. It will be interesting to see how the scoring works and if the pass mark drops in relation to earlier years as the kids are obviously not as academically advanced and have not had their pace brought up to speed as when the test was in November.

It'll be interesting to see what happens come 17/10 when the results are out.

I think it is a shame that the CAF date couldn't be moved allowing for the same time test as previously as at least the kids are more in "school" mode by November. After 6 or 7 proper school days following 6 weeks off they can't be expected to Brain of Britain. It takes them a couple of weeks to get back on track usually, at least my kids do. They need to build back up to the routine of school life and hard work.

If a lot of the kids were slower than usual what does this mean for our grammars? Will they be getting less able kids if the pass rate slips? Or, will it be that it would be the kids that pass would have been up to scratch if it were still in November if you know what I mean.

I know my son was on pace at home and was finishing with time to check through fully. I don't think he can work out what happened yesterday, but he got to the end of the VR paper today which was great for his self esteem if nothing else after yesterday.
Sue
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

I reckon the kids who have been working all through their summer hols will stand a better chance.
CatSmile

Post by CatSmile »

My DS said the maths was ok but the questions got tougher at the end and he was very tight for time and only finished by guessing at the last couple. He thought the VR was much tougher (although this is usually his stronger subject), but on when I got him to talk it through he said that actually the first 3/4 of the VR was okay but then he hit the alphabetic codes and sequences he hates and needs more time for - only time was running out so he had to make guesses again to finish the paper. He says that if he doesn't pass it will be the VR that did it!!

Interestingly, one lady I know is a LSA at another school and the teachers there reckon the VR was a very hard paper and about 2/3 of the children didn't finish it? Don't know if this helps anyone??? :?

My DS is now just waiting for the four paper marathon on Saturday at Wilmington - I hate doing this to him (he only turned 10 in mid July!) - but he's being quite brave about it. At least the practice run last Saturday was good for his confidence!

Wishing everybody all the very best at this difficult time! :wink:
bigrob

Post by bigrob »

CatSmile wrote:My DS said the maths was ok but the questions got tougher at the end and he was very tight for time and only finished by guessing at the last couple. He thought the VR was much tougher (although this is usually his stronger subject), but on when I got him to talk it through he said that actually the first 3/4 of the VR was okay but then he hit the alphabetic codes and sequences he hates and needs more time for - only time was running out so he had to make guesses again to finish the paper. He says that if he doesn't pass it will be the VR that did it!!
Catsmile - my DS said pretty much the same as yours. Maths paper easier than VR and that the VR got much tougher at the end with the codes. So if he fails it is more likely to be because of the VR. He was quite specific saying the first 57 questions in the VR were ok !!!

He is so laid back - he doesn't care where he goes to school & wasn't interested in studying for the exams.
CatSmile

Post by CatSmile »

Hi BigRob

I'm afraid my DS is desperate to get into Beths (but it has more to do with Go Karts than academic excellence I think!! :roll: ). He's really tried to work hard this summer and he is a bright boy when he puts his mind to it -but there's the catch, it takes a lot to spark his interest. Get him enthusiastic and he flies, get him bored and he bombs. It all depends on on his mood - and at 10 years of age I've spotted the spectre of the 'Moody Teeager' surfacing a few times already :shock: !

Anyway, glad the tests are over - was rather expecting us all to feel more 'up', but waiting for the results (two different days waiting to bite the postman's hand off!!) is just as nervewracking and then there's the wait til March to see what School we got!! Don't know if I can cope with this all again in a couple of years with DD!

Good luck anyway!
bigrob

Post by bigrob »

Catsmile - gosh our two boys sound like they came from the same pod/mould. Mine is older (11 in Nov) so I can understand he is at an advantage in the sense that he should be a bit more mature and able to cope.

He is also showing the teenage signs which I think he has picked up from the older DS. He also has the same motivational problems as yours. Clever but how he does depends on how he feels that day.

Fingers crossed they'll both get in and we'll be cheering on the touchline together (that is if your DS is a sportsman). Mine has no ability in the music/singing area.