Newstead Wood Exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

vrm

Newstead Wood Exam

Post by vrm »

Like somebody said here before, I am surprised there is no separate board for LB Bromley, and there seems to be no reason why we should be in Kent. Anyway, my questions regarding the Newstead Wood entrance test are:

How much time is allowed for the Verbal and Non Verbal papers?
Is the verbal paper multiple choice, or does the child have to mark the answers in the question paper?
In the non-verbal paper is there a time limit for each of the individual sections?

Any help on the above questions would be much appreciated.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Could you try ringing your LEA?

I know that KCC are very helpful when it comes to questions about the Kent test.
WesterhamMum

Post by WesterhamMum »

Hi

I emailed the Newstead school admissions last week to ask similar questions and then re-sent the email again on Monday and have still had no reply!

I also asked them about the results. I know you have to wait until March to find out if your DD got in, but someone told me last week that the school do post your daughter's score to you once it is marked. I find this hard to believe but if it is true, at least we would have some idea if we had a good chance of getting in or not.

I have still been unable to find out about the scoring system for Newstead. I got no replies at all to my last post which I put in the Kent and Bexley sections. I know you need to get about 220 or more to have a good chance, but out of what? Are the scores standardised to 140 like the 11+ meaning that the 220 is out of 280? If so it seems a bit low, unless the test is much harder than the 11+.

I think the reason that Bromley does not have a section on this site is because Newstead and St Olaves are the only two selective schools in the whole borough and even these two schools do not use the 11+, but their own entrance exams.

I do agree however it would be nice to have somewhere to go to get advice on these schools!

Sorry.....I did not answer one of your questions did I? :roll:
vrm

Post by vrm »

yoyo123 -- Newstead Wood is in LB Bromley not Kent, so not much point contacting KCC!

Westerham Mum -- Thanks for your reply. I am not going to get too stressed about the scoring system for Newstead. I am working on the assumption that my daughter will have to get around 95% of the answers right to have any chance of getting in -- the competition is after all very tough. But it would be useful to know how many questions are there in each paper. I may call up the school to check, though I am sure all will be made clear at the open day. If you get any replies to your email please do let me know. Thanks.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Actually I suggested ringing YOUR L.E.A and added that I had always found KCC (my area) very helpful, presuming that yours would be too. your original post says that you are in LB Bromley.

Perhaps you could PM forum admin and ask if there could be an appropriate board. We eventually got Medway, Bexleyheath and Kent separated. If only the 11+ was standardised things would be so much easier
georgex

newteadwoods exam

Post by georgex »

Any feed back on test nearly every child I've spoken to thought it was easy. My daughter and her friends all managed to answer every question on both papers ( if the answers are right is a different story). If this is anthing to go by the score to get in would be quite high this year.
Billie

Post by Billie »

I also heard comments that the girls found it easy this year. So, scores will need to be very high to get in.
I understand the test is 1 hour verbal and 1 hour non verbal. you can get sample questions from the school ( at a cost!).
The open day is usually the last Saturday in September ( same as St Olave's - they seem to have their open days and tests on the same days).

Bromley are not very helpful - they will refer you to the school as it manages is own tests.

Results won't come out until you are told your school in March - St Olaves and Newstead got into hot water in previous years for giving out results and so indicating early whether a child was likely to get a place.
Billie

Post by Billie »

Sorry, forgot to say - no standardisation.
WesterhamMum

Post by WesterhamMum »

Hi Georgex

My daughter also sat the test last weekend. She also thought it was easy and had loads of time to spare (she said it was comparable to the 11+) so I agree, it does seem that the raw score this year will need to be high. My daughter is hoping to go to Tonbridge Grammar (Newstead was her second choice) so assuming she gets offered a place at Tonbridge, I do not think we will even find out her score from Newstead.

For anyone who is interested for next year, there were 2 tests, one verbal and one non verbal, both were 1 hour each. The non verbal was timed in sections like the 11+. Obviously this may change next year as I believe St Olaves are now testing maths and English, so Newstead may follow.
vrm

Post by vrm »

Yes, my feedback was also that the exam was easy this year. So I suppose the percentage scores will have to be 95%+.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now