just missed the mark

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bella4594

just missed the mark

Post by Bella4594 »

Help, I need sound advice. My son just missed the mark by 6. His older brother has gone to grammar school and he's devasted at not passing and being able to go to school with him. I don't know what to do for the best. Like everyone, I believe my son is a bright lad and could cope with the work, but I don't know if I could cope with the appeals process. I'm an emotional wreck!
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Firstly, well done to your son for trying so hard.

Secondly, is this score truly representative of your son? Do you feel that he is just outside the top 25% for his age group or do you feel that this score does not do him justice?

What's his school record like?

If you want to challenge the result then you will have a fight on your hands an appeals in Bexley are not easily won. But you can do it if you have enough evidence to support your case.

And the further you are away from the passmark then the harder your case will be. Having said that there are kids out there who have lost appeals being just 1 mark short yet others have won appeals even though they have been more than 6 marks short.

Have a look at the appeals section and think about what evidence you may have and if you would want to take it any further.
Bella4594

just missed the mark

Post by Bella4594 »

Thanks for the reply.
His school usually does well, with atleast 10 children every year getting through. I think he's in the top 25% and his reports reflect that. As you say the appeals in Bexley are hard fought and I don't know if its worth the emotional turmoil. He only turned 10 in August so I'm not sure if you can use that as weight against an appeal. I believe that them moving the test to mid September really did the damage as having had 6 weeks summer holidays then only a couple of weeks to settle in at being the top year and his age all played a significant part in him just missing out.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Did you do any extra work with him during the 6 weeks hols to kep him up yo speed?
Bella4594

Post by Bella4594 »

Yes, we tried to do 15 minute test every other day, but he did protest that it was his summer! I do believe it help keep him from slipping back to much
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

I don't know much about appeals in Bexley other than, as Tracy says, the succesful ones are few and far between. Very few, maybe 0/1/2 a year are allowed for each grammar school. The only successful ones I have known are where there have been particular circumstances which may have contributed to a near miss (and missing by 6 points this year is the equivalent of missing by 12 points in previous years, which is rather a lot).

As you know, standardisation aims to ensure that children who are young in their year are not disadvantaged. And remember that everyone has had to cope with doing the tests soon after the summer holidays and before they have had time to settle back into the school routine.

I don't mean to sound discouraging, but I think you need to be realistic in Bexley. If you have particular extenuating circumstances (child unwell on the day or during the exams, a death in the family etc) you might be in with a chance. I would, however, most definitely talk to your son's teacher and headteacher who will be able to advise you whether or not it's worth going to appeal.

Good Luck
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now