Who opens the results envelope?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bigrob

Who opens the results envelope?

Post by bigrob »

Who opens the envelope in your house?

When my older DS did the exams 4 years ago, I opened the envelope and went to his school. They got him out of class so I could speak to him.

I told him he had failed - poor boy, you should have seen his face before I told him I was only kidding. He has never forgiven me. I was ecstatic as he teacher had said he shouldn't take the exams as he would fail.

The younger DS has asked if he can open the envelope. I think I am going to type on an envelope and put a stamp on it. I will then open the original, see the results, then put the letter in my secret envelope !!!
picardygirl

Post by picardygirl »

I opened the envelope with both ours, after all, the letter is address to the parents!

They didnt question me opening it, so it wasnt an issue - but a friend who has 2 the same age as mine, left the letters for the children to open themselves. Except with the first one, she couldnt resist and opened it secretly, and stuck it back down, but got herself in such a state during the afternoon, because her DD passed and she didnt really expect her too, was hoping for her to, but wasnt banking on it. Then had to pick her up from school and walk home trying to keep a straight face. With her second she left the envelope for her DS to open as he desperately wanted to pass (as his sister did) and he didnt, so she couldnt face opening it, in fear she would get herself in a state knowing her son would be upset!
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

On the two occasions I've had to do this I've opened the letters. First, because they were addressed to me, not my children. Second, because our postman comes late morning so, if the letters had brought bad news, I would have had time to get over my disappointment and compose myself before telling my children.

Mind you, this did backfire on me a bit last time as I should probably have waited until my son and I were at home so we could open the letter together in private. When I went to pick him up from school I arrived in the playground early, saw him finishing a PE lesson, smiled and gave him a thumbs up sign - whereupon he promptly burst into tears! This my big, rugby-playing, non-cuddling, non-crying, rough tough boy!

Bigrob - I'm not surprised your son has never forgiven you, what a dastardly thing to do!!
Frankie

Bexley - Who should open the results envelope?

Post by Frankie »

Not sure if this is accurate - and also a little late for this years results - but I did notice on my DD's results letter from Bexley a reference detailing an 'N' in it - She had missed by a couple of points and was therefore deemed as 'Non-selective'. My eldest DD, a few years earlier, was deemed 'Selective' and referring back to her letter the reference shown had an 'S' in it. From this I would suggest that perhaps just by looking at the reference on the letter, which is clearly visible through the unopened window envelope, we could all get an answer to how our DCs have actually done without opening it and therefore be a little pre-prepared if you do want them to then open it themselves!
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Frankie, I have just checked my daughter's letter from a couple of years ago and your theory would appear to be correct!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now