bexley grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sally40

bexley grammar

Post by sally40 »

Has anyone got children at bexley grammar and if so what are their views on it as not much mention is made of it on this site as a choice of grammar and was just wondering why? Would you say it pushed the kids as much as beths which seems to be the popular one where all boys not going to dg are going my ds is the only one that wants to go there, any advice please. :?:
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

I have a daughter there in year 8. I think the school is wonderful - but then I am biased!

The school encourages rather than pushes. Excellent music and sports if your child wants to take part.

Would thoroughly recommend this school. Daughter has settled very well and really LOVES her school.

Happy to answer any questions.
Bex mum

Post by Bex mum »

Totally agree with everything Tracy has said.

My D started this year and settled in so quickly even though she didn't know anyone else. She enjoys all her lessons, likes her teachers and seems to be doing well.

I have seen Beths and really liked it but when it is my son's turn I will be more than happy if he gets a place at BGS.

What are your son's reasons for preferring BGS?
sally40

repy

Post by sally40 »

Hi tracy thank you for your reply, we found bg to have a nice atmosphere about it but as dontknow anyone that goes there it is helpful to find out more.How much homework would he expect to get inyear 7 and did any of your ds friends go there as well as i said before my ds would be the only one? thanks
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

When my dd started she was the only girl to go to BGS from her primary. She did know some of the boys though.
It wasn't a problem for us as there was a huge jealousy thing going on and most of my dd's 'friends' had dumped her by the end of year 6 anyway.

Needless to say she has settled in well and I have trouble keeping up with the new friends and her social life!

As for homework, there really isn't that much. Occasionally there might be the odd mini project to do but they are given 3 or 4 homeworks to do it.

When I queried the homework I was told that in the lower years the school doesn't set that much as they want the kids to have a life outside school and to take part in extra curricular activities. BGS seems to get the balance just right.
Mum of 3!

Post by Mum of 3! »

Hi,

I have been avidly reading this forum over the last few weeks and think it's been a real source of support to those posting and also to us who have just been reading, so firstly thank you.

I have a ds in year 8 at Bexley Grammar. When we chose for him 2 years ago, it was a close call between Beths & BG, but finally we made a decision based on music opportunities (he plays piano) and we prefered co-ed.

He settled very well into life at the school, joining 2 different bands and the science club. He went on to join a couple of other clubs as well. There are so many bands that are available and a large amount of sports, science, cooking and ict clubs that you can join, and I'm sure I haven't listed them all.

He very quickly felt a part of it all and felt valued for taking part. The teachers expect you to work to the best of your ability and give lots of praise as a result. However, if you do give in a piece that is not up to scratch, they also let you know! We found on the whole that our ds tries to go that extra mile. Of course, he has subjects where this may not be the case but it is only a couple!

This year we have looked again at Beths and BG for our next ds. Again, we have found 2 very good schools. We were impressed with both. However, we wanted our ds to have a think for himself and not just choose BG because his older ds was there. Ultimately, he has chosen BG as he is also musical and he "felt" right there, at ease. I think he liked listening to the year 8 & 13 students talking at the heads speech too.

As parents we have found BG caring, supportive and extremely helpful in sorting out any problems that arose during 1st ds year there. They have pushed him and I would say inspired him to want to do it. Quickly after the transition from primary to secondary he became more of an independant learner, his relationship with his teachers helped. As I said there were only a couple of subjects where this may not have applied so much! Yesterday I asked him what makes BG good and he said the community.

So in summing up - BG seems to be very balanced with our 1st ds, he has achieved very well, made new friends and is having lots of fun. However, there still feels like there is so much more to try there, it's just fitting it in!

I honestly think we (the parents) and our dc quite quickly get a feeling for what school feels right for them and it's such a personal thing. Good luck in your decision making, nearly done...
sally40

Post by sally40 »

Thank you all for your advice, this site is great , have spoken in depth to my ds and he wants to go to bg but the only thing is that he is the only one going in his school. I have tried to explain that even in beths they would all be split up anyway but i can understand where hes coming from , any advice, i feel he wants me to make decision.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Sally40 - not sure whether he would be split up from his friends. My eldest went to Beths with 2 other boys from his class and they ended up in the same form. In fact, there were also several other boys from the local area in his form as he discovered on his first day at the bus stop. I think they try and put boys in the same form who will be doing a similar bus journey so that they are travelling with people they know.

But having said that, it's not necessarily a good thing to start school with people you know. If you don't know anybody you have to make new friends otherwise the temptation is to stick to those you know. Does he play any sport? My second son started in September on his own, but discovered lots of familiar faces from rugby and cricket.

I've said it before, the 4 grammars in Bexley are all good on music, sport, pastoral care, getting the best out of your child etc etc. I doubt very much if you will get a post from anyone criticising any of these schools and of course all the parents who submit posts think the school their child is at is the best! Let's face it, you can't make a wrong decision with any of these schools.

The only other thing I would take into account is the journey. If one was easy and one quite difficult, that would influence my choice.

Happy agonising!
Bex mum

Post by Bex mum »

This is a difficult one, I think either school would be an excellent choice.

Are the other boys good friends or do you think he could do with a fresh start? (I think children can outgrow their primary friends). If there is a lot of falling out maybe this is a good time to move on?

The journey is an important part of it especially if you plan to take him and if you have other children.

All I can say is my daughter didn't know anyone and she has made new friends - they seem to be a good bunch of kids. She saw it as a new start and is loving it!

Good luck and keep us posted....
Mum of 3!

Post by Mum of 3! »

I can appreciate your ds's concerns, this is a big step for them (and us!)

I just wanted to ask, are you apsolutely sure he would be the only one putting BG? Two years ago, my ds was under the same impression, when we were looking at the schools, but in the following March the spread between Beths and BG was fairly balanced.

Tough choice, and journey does come into it. My ds didn't have much experience on buses and at first we helped with the journey alot! It didn't take long and he became a seasoned commuter, whilst he still doesn't like the early start!

At the time I asked my ds to ignore the friends issue, which was tough as his best friend wanted Beths and go with what felt right for him. It was alot to ask a 10 year old but it did all work out in the end.

Good luck with your decision!