UPSET AND ANGRY

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
daljit

Post by daljit »

Hi T-4-2,

there are probably loads of parents and children going through the same thing as we are............its just badluck!

i keep going over and over it in my head ( given myself bad headache). thers's basically nothing i can do untill the appeals. :evil: :(

thankyou for your kind words

take care
CatSmile

Post by CatSmile »

Hi Daljit

Just wanted to say how sorry I was to hear your news - wish I knew the words to comfort you and DS. Is there any way he get into the same school as his brother - on a sibling basis or something? Wish I could help you. :(

Take care

Catsmile
daljit

Post by daljit »

Hi

i'm feeling much better today (and more positive).

the Headmaster was very supportive and said he will help with appeals. yes i have called the schools where my other 2 children have been offered places and they have been fantastic......(no one has said they have a place for him but just listened to what i had to say and gave me hope).
As for my DS he is broken. he has a health condition and is on regular treatment & medication, his way of coping with his illness has always been through working hard at school....
like i said before there are many parents in the same boat, we are not alone. this forum is great

thank you

Dal
Gercha

Post by Gercha »

Hi Daljit

Am so pleased your Head is supportive. Our head is also really supportive and will help us with an appeal to Wilmington.

Having a sibling at St Olaves holds no sway with them, it literally is just on points. The ironic thing is my son scored better on his English than his Maths in the Olaves test (even though he is on the gifted registar at school for maths) and that if there are tied scores then the maths mark is taken into consideration!! You can imagine my frustration!! We don't think he'll get in (but of course will stay on the waiting list) so have pretty much dismissed it, but will appeal for Wilmington. I do feel sorry for my ds though, as his score was 14 points higher than his brother who got in two years ago and with his score would have got in last year.

Our ds scored 401 on the kent test and the Wilmington secretary (who must be sick of me by now) told us that the 10% cut off was 401 and those boys with 401 would then be allocated on distance - aaarrrrhhhh. Thwarted at every junction!!!!! Hopefully we will get in on second allocation but who knows!!!

Which school will you be appealing for?
daljit

Post by daljit »

Hi Gercha,

i have been advised to appeal for every grammar school we applied for.

i'm not sure if i want to do that.

StOlaves is out of the question as my son is too far down the waiting list!
As for Wilmington i phoned them this morning and basically got told the same as you DISTANCE.....the cut off was 5.8 miles. we are over 6! (no chance for us)

ok i can accept that.....but if you get in the top 180 and you can choose any grammar school you want....the distance doesn't come into it?????
explain that to a 10year old!

i'm so not happy!

Dal
Gercha

Post by Gercha »

Hold on Daljit, hold on. Wilmington may have gone out 5.8 miles but we are at 6.4 miles which is just over half a mile from the cut off. I would DEFININTELY (if I were you - and I have!) go on the waiting list. It may not be until the summer, but you may get a place. It really is worth going on the waiting list and ringing every week (after the 26th march) and finding out where you are.
daljit

Post by daljit »

Gercha,

i have sent out some letters today and i have phoned none selective schools (just in case he doesn't get the grammar option)....
i have PM you
lets wait and see

Dal
Gercha

Post by Gercha »

Daljit

I am thick - my son doesn't get his brains from me.

How do I retrieve my PMs?!!!

Sorry!!!
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Gercha wrote: the 10% cut off was 401 and those boys with 401 would then be allocated on distance
Doesn't seem to say that in the published over-subscription criteria. Allocations on distance are a next separate category, unless she means the cut off was 400, then the allocations on distance started at 401.
Gercha

Post by Gercha »

Hi dadofkent

I think what she means is they had 12 places to allocate to top 10% scorers. The scores started at 420 (I presume) and went as far as 401. When they got to 401 there were more than one boy on 401 so then had to allocate on proximity.

It is very confusing isn't it?