English language help please

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
booellesmum

Re: English language help please

Post by booellesmum »

DD in year 11 so gcse's next month. :(
She has never had separate Language and Literature lessons - just "English" on the timetable.
I did ask her once but I got a very dismissive answer along the lines of there being a lot more to learn for Literature with all the texts and Language didn't need as much time so it was easier to just have English so they could do what was needed.
I am reading this thread feeling like a very bad parent as to be honest I don't really know what the Language exam involves.
Let's hope she does eh?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

booellesmum wrote:DD in year 11 so gcse's next month. :(
She has never had separate Language and Literature lessons - just "English" on the timetable.
I did ask her once but I got a very dismissive answer along the lines of there being a lot more to learn for Literature with all the texts and Language didn't need as much time so it was easier to just have English so they could do what was needed.
I am reading this thread feeling like a very bad parent as to be honest I don't really know what the Language exam involves.
Let's hope she does eh?
Same here on all counts, apart from, I did actually download a specimen Eng. Lang. exam paper the other day (no idea where I filed it, mind you, but with a quick skim read didn't think DD should have too much trouble - but only time will tell, of course :lol: ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

Oh.....on top of new format, at my end,

DC has Eng.Lit and Geography (Physical) same day,

Eng.Lang and Geography (Human) same day.

Brave dear child, the writing marathon day!

:D :lol: Was that Rhyme, Rhythm or Iambic..... :shock: :lol: :lol:
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

topsyturvy wrote:Oh.....on top of new format, at my end,

Oh no! Hopefully no writers cramp.
DD is extremely lucky and only has 3 days where there are 2 exams.
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

booellesmum wrote:
topsyturvy wrote:Oh.....on top of new format, at my end,

Oh no! Hopefully no writers cramp.
DD is extremely lucky and only has 3 days where there are 2 exams.

WOW...our third '2 exam same day' is also scheduled to start at the same time, Cramp........na na nah......looks like DC will have to write using both hands at the same time! German Language and Computer Science starting at 9 am same day! :D

Best of luck!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

There are always clashes. Schools and Exam Boards know what to do in such circumstances. Quarantines at times are possible.
KB

Post by KB »

At least it's not a 3 clash requiring overnight quarantine. Lunch time quarantine is pretty common but a packed lunch might be required. Do suggest they try to find out where they will be kept as they should be allowed to take items to make it more comfortable​ and keep them amused if necessary.
Electronics will probably be banned as it's difficult to police what can communicate these days!
copella

Post by copella »

My eldest had a 3 clash when taking his GCSEs no need for overnight quarantine. he just had to take all three papers in one day. This year the youngest has the two French exams on the 16th with biology on the same day. The stress is starting to show in our house as it gets closer.
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

KB wrote:At least it's not a 3 clash requiring overnight quarantine. Lunch time quarantine is pretty common but a packed lunch might be required. Do suggest they try to find out where they will be kept as they should be allowed to take items to make it more comfortable​ and keep them amused if necessary.
Electronics will probably be banned as it's difficult to police what can communicate these days!

Thank you for 'packed lunch' suggestion, will ask DC to check in school what Quarantine arrangements done for them.

Overnight quarantine, interesting! Do they take tents in backpacks and a Tranja! :D

All the best to all!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Sleeping bags in school hall :?:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now