The Final Push - how's it going for your dc (and you) ?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

doodles

Re: The Final Push - how's it going for your dc (and you) ?

Post by doodles »

Ds has done absolutely nothing today except bumble around the garden, eat, watch sport on tv and eat some more :lol:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

DC on playstation this morning, with school friends, then out after lunch in garden with younger DC playing table tennis and badminton - enjoying the sunshine. Back to the grind stone in a day or two, however this half term has come at just the right time - a much needed break to recharge the batteries :D
Heartmum x x x
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Another rest day today.
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Same for DS. He’s competing in a regional athletics competition this afternoon which will be a good break for him. Back to revision tomorrow.
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

No revision yesterday and out to twin nephews 9th birthday celebrations today so nothing until tomorrow.

Dd was offered the job she did a work trial for on Friday so has her first training shift on Tuesday and another on Friday. Employer very helpful and said the following couple of weeks to just say the shifts she can do, her studies come first.

Also has a couple of rehearsals for dance show 2 nights this week. She has nothing on next Sat/Sun and no exams on the Monday so plenty of time to revise.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There is a good thread on TSR started by Notnek with a list of topics which did not come up in Edexcel Maths paper 1 and links to examples.

Here is the link: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showth ... highlight=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not suggesting work today but just thought it might be a useful focus nearer the time of these papers.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Very very helpful. Thank you so much DG
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Thanks, G55. I've sent the link to DD.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Thanks very much G55 for this useful link and to Piggy’s for the English lit tips which were very helpful indeed.
DS out over the weekend most of the time plus a bit of a bedroom tidy up in preparation for the next phase.
He’s upbeat so far.
I’d be interested to hear if teachers think these new GCSEs are more challenging?
That’s the impression I’m getting.
My input is keeping the house stocked with favourite foods and lifts to school sometimes instead of public transport.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The papers in Maths have not changed much imho - the 'difficulty' has been hyped a bit - the proportions of grades awarded isn't changing and that's what students need to remember. 'Harder' papers mean lower grade boundaries.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now