The long wait......

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Miltonkeynes1

The long wait......

Post by Miltonkeynes1 »

Just wondered how everyone's DC's were coping with the long wait to results day? DS has been busy with NCS but last night mentioned that the results are looming. I think it is more worrying with them being the first year to do the new exams plus there are so many rumours around grade boundaries etc.
hermanmunster

Re: The long wait......

Post by hermanmunster »

No more school results in this household but I do remember that the worst bit with GCSEs was that there was all the hype etc with A levels results which just highlighted the countdown to the GCSE students who still had to wait another week........ :shock:
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

My DS is very calm about it all. Apparently he keeps texting his friends and reminding them and they get stressed about it. He commented yesterday that this summer seems to be whizzing by, but he has hardly been at home with NCS, explorer trip and a week's Cyber course.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Miltonkeynes1 wrote:Just wondered how everyone's DC's were coping with the long wait to results day? DS has been busy with NCS but last night mentioned that the results are looming. I think it is more worrying with them being the first year to do the new exams plus there are so many rumours around grade boundaries etc.
They aren't the first to do Maths or English .. over the years many cohorts have been 'firsts' - forget the hype. Grade boundaries are not announced until results day. Proportions getting 7+ will be the same as got A/A* in the past as will the proportion getting 4+ be the same as C+.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD is just fed up of waiting, but at the same time doesn’t want to know. Ignorance is bliss.

I think for her she felt added pressure due to the predicted grades she had. I don’t think she will have done really badly on anything (judging by how she felt the exams went at the time), but she feels she may not quite reach her predicted grades For some of her subjects and that sometimes bothers her. If she doesn’t get them, she knows she could have done better. It is what it is though and unless there’s been an absolutely disaster, it shouldn’t really affect her going forward.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

DD is nervous but curious too. She’s written down what she thinks she’s going to get and wants to know if she’s predicted correctly. I’m going to bake a cake - possibly rainbow, more likely something rather less ambitious - because even though we clashed and she was an annoying so-and-so who refused to follow her mother’s fabulous advice, she did work very hard. She was a bit concerned at first that the cake was in anticipation of good results, but it’s not. I made cakes for DS when he sat the two 11+ tests, but DD didn’t need to so she gets hers now.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

DD seems to be quite calm about it. In theory her grades dictate her choice of 6th Form / subjects but I suspect if it came down to it and she had not matched her predictions then there would be wiggle room.
She had a 3 week trip so that has occupied quite a lot of the wait.
She and her closest friends have discussed their plan for results day - open separately then take a while to let them sink in before sharing with friends/family. All sounds very sensible.
The announcement of the A level results may get them a bit more fired up I suppose.
We are going to go out for a family meal before the results - the weekend after will be spent at Reading Festival
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Reading Mum wrote: the weekend after will be spent at Reading Festival
In our case the weekend after will be spent trying to avoid the Reading festival. :lol:
Miltonkeynes1

Post by Miltonkeynes1 »

https://amp.theguardian.com/education/2 ... -reassured" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

According to The Guardian's report about Ofqual, the examiners are going to be kind- fingers crossed!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Litonkeynes1 - did you read my post? They are going to keep the proportions of grades the same just as happened last year. Calm down please!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now