The long wait......

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fairyelephant

Re: The long wait......

Post by fairyelephant »

DD has distracted herself by dying her hair red! Watch out Reading Mum, every North London GCSE student I know is going to the festival. Have to admit I’m more worried about that than the results! :shock:
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD has hair dye (I believe Rose Gold colour) to colour her hair a slightly reddish colour.

My mother rang this evening to ask about results. Has obviously read it or heard it somewhere, but thinks it’s today. Thankfully DD was out so hasn’t had the reminder.
Miltonkeynes1

Post by Miltonkeynes1 »

doodles wrote:
Guest55 wrote:Litonkeynes1 - did you read my post? They are going to keep the proportions of grades the same just as happened last year. Calm down please!
I don't think Miltonkeynes1 is stirring people up, she just posted a link to a report in the Guardian.

We are having a very pleasant and energetic week on a canal boat doing the Stourport ring. We have spent much of the time so far in Staffordshire, a new county for me and I really like it, the countryside is beautiful.
Thanks Doodles, I definitely wasn't trying to stir people up, I thought I was being helpful ( my reprimand took me back to my school days- it just missed the 'could do better next time!).

It sounds like the DC's are having an exciting and varied summer and managing to make the most of their long break. DS has loved NCS, he seems to have made quite a few new friends and has signed up to volunteer next year.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Newspaper links tend not to be very helpful as they do hype up the changes. It's much better to focus on the information from exam boards and the rules they've been told to apply in awarding grades.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Glad to hear DS has had a good summer Miltonkeynes1. Good luck to everyone's DC. :)
mad?
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

fairyelephant wrote:DD has distracted herself by dying her hair red! Watch out Reading Mum, every North London GCSE student I know is going to the festival. Have to admit I’m more worried about that than the results! :shock:
DD tried doing hers pink but it hardly took and she's blonde. We'll try again at the weekend with a different product and my help this time.

Not that worried about the festival but we bought 2 tickets so one of us, not sure who yet, will be on site each day with her. She doesn't have to stay with us, we will just be there in case something goes wrong. We can also walk home from the site so no camping.
dez

Post by dez »

Guest55 wrote:Newspaper links tend not to be very helpful as they do hype up the changes. It's much better to focus on the information from exam boards and the rules they've been told to apply in awarding grades.
+1
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Reading Mum wrote:
fairyelephant wrote:DD has distracted herself by dying her hair red! Watch out Reading Mum, every North London GCSE student I know is going to the festival. Have to admit I’m more worried about that than the results! :shock:
DD tried doing hers pink but it hardly took and she's blonde. We'll try again at the weekend with a different product and my help this time.

Not that worried about the festival but we bought 2 tickets so one of us, not sure who yet, will be on site each day with her. She doesn't have to stay with us, we will just be there in case something goes wrong. We can also walk home from the site so no camping.
A plus point for those of us in Reading that wish to go to the festival, we don’t have to camp there.

Last time DD dyed her hair it didn’t really take either, but she isn’t as blonde as Little RM. more of a dark blonde/light brown. My hair is also very resistant to hair dye (plus the bits that aren’t grey are dark brown), so I’ve all but given up and accepted that grey is the new blonde, or whatever.

She still seems quite calm about results. She reckons she can’t have done so badly in several subjects that she can’t stay on. Whether she is still like that on the day remains to be seen.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

doodles wrote:
DC17C wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:Completely off topic (apologies OP) but we rented a canal boat just for a day for my husband's birthday - can recommend it to anyone as the antidote to exam stress or 11+ madness - what a fantastic pace of life....cannot believe I haven't done it before!
Yes canal boating is fab.We did the Llangollen canal last year over a few days..it was wonderful though a slightly steep learning curve with a tunnel and the amazing pontcysyllte aquaduct in the first 40 minutes on the boat.
Tonight we are in Worcester, another new city for us, it's lovely. On this route we do seem to have gone through an awful lot of EPE territory :shock: We love canal boating and have done several holidays but this is one of the most varied.
It’s only a short hop down to Gloucestershire...
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

It’s obviously now starting to hit home. DD had a dream about results day last night.

She dreamt she got a grade 1 in chemistry (her best and favourite subject). :shock: