The long wait......

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KB

Re: The long wait......

Post by KB »

2childmum wrote:
anotherdad wrote:+1 on apprenticeships. They are well worth a look. There are some excellent schemes but beware that there are some poor ones too, just like courses at colleges and university can be of variable quality. I've got some experience in that area, so PM me if you need any pointers or advice.

Thank you both for the suggestion. She has looked but hasn't found an apprenticeship in anything she is interested in. There are lots of nursery ones, which don't seem to include any actual training at all (cheap labour I think) and business ones, which she would hate. Ditto servicing lifts and washing machines. Lots of them seem to want you to have already done a course at college in the relevant career.

I think she would like to do some sort of science based career - she is really interested in neuroscience, having spent time researching her dyslexia.

It is quite difficult to follow such a path when exams are a difficulty but there are options.

Might be worth looking at low level entry for NHS lab work or a local research university if you have one and opportunities to progress from there.

Also look specifically at healthcare science apprenticeship with NHS ( until quite recently - not sure what situation is currently).

Do hope DD gets the grades she deserves and they aren't too impacted by her SpLD.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Have a look at big pharma as well. I know gsk do a range of science and lab based apprenticeships with the possibility of them sponsoring a degree later if that is the chosen route. Good luck!
Last edited by mad? on Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
mad?
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

There are routes into HE that might take a bit longer but might suit someone with a specific learning difference....foundation degrees can be useful and disability students allowances can help with things to support learning such as adaptive software. I know a couple of people with dyslexia on this route who are now due to start Masters degrees at Russel group universities. In the process of my own return to academia I find I am probably dyspraxic along with my son. What seems vital is to have a post 16 assessment to access support.
KB

Post by KB »

There are all sorts of support available for study and during exams but for some this isn't enough to overcome the difficulties.
Those whose brains work differently to the majority have valuable insights to offer but it can be hard to jump the hurdles.
Looking for a route that's more based on practical experience and assessed by longer term performance than in exam situations can be a way forward.
My DCs have Splds and have achieved at various levels academically but it's always a struggle and takes much more work than for most others do I have huge sympathy but also recognise that the straight academic route isn't always appropriate and the resulting stress can be overwhelming.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Thank you all for your suggesting, and, more importantly, understanding. DD has struggled with teachers who recognise she is very bright but can't grasp the impact her dyslexia has on her. Everything is so much harder work for her. I will suggest she looks into the NHS lab work type options, and pharmacy companies might be an option too.

She doesn't want to talk about it at the moment so we will wait and see what Thursday brings.

Good luck to everyone who is waiting too - the last few days seem to have dragged by!
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

DS seems very relaxed about it all.

Think we will get email around 7.00am, but he wants to get his results at school, but also doesn't want any surprises.

His latest idea is to go to school with his friends and for us to look at email and just tell him he's done enough to stay at his school and then he will see grades for himself with his friends.

We won't open email until he says we can, but he'll still be in bed and I'll be staring at it, it'll be a 'don't press the red button' scenario.

I think I'll be a nervous wreck!
Stokers

Post by Stokers »

Golly, nervousmum. Wish DS's school did an email. We're away and so have had to arrange for a friend to go in and pick up results so he can confirm to 6th Form of choice before 4pm. Email would have been much more straightforward.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Here’s hoping all goes well for your DC tomorrow and they get what they need. I will be waiting for DD to call me from school :shock: DD opted out of email for the old fashioned route.
Amber

Post by Amber »

None of the schools my DC are/were at would routinely send out emails, I think because of the huge amount of extra admin work it would entail. And none of my DC would have let me see the results ahead of them either! Sitting at home or in a car park waiting with pounding heart for a text or call is an experience no parent will ever forget, I don't think - rehearsing all the scenarios in your mind. It is another rite of passage up there with first day at school/first tooth lost etc. Good luck all.
piggys

Post by piggys »

DD is getting a bit het up now. She has had a great summer with a week of W/Exp, 3 weeks' NCS which she absolutely loved, 2 weeks away en famille and now the countdown to tomorrow......

DH (softie that he is) bought her a nice present and gave it to her yesterday - he wanted it to be a present for her effort and hard work rather than for her results which I thought was a good idea.

Anyway best of luck all. :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now