GCSEs 2019

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Re: GCSEs 2019

Post by Daogroupie »

DAO has moved boards in RS and Geography.

Will be interesting to see if it impacts the results.

I do think the Edexcel results plus is incredibly helpful.

DG
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

How did everyone find English Lit today? Dd wasn't overly happy, she didn't get the poem she was hoping for. Hope everyone's dc are doing ok.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Middlesexmum wrote:How did everyone find English Lit today? Dd wasn't overly happy, she didn't get the poem she was hoping for. Hope everyone's dc are doing ok.
No idea what poem DS2 may have bern hoping for, if any, but he got War Photographer. He seems quite happy about the exams generally, so far.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Dd did OCR English and thought it was fine. I think people were generally quite happy with the Conflict poetry questions.
Nothing now till after half term!
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

Just putting my head over the parapet to say Hi and that I hope all your DCs are doing Well.
So far so good for my Dd. She won’t ever say how she thinks she has done but I know she did turn the page and do the final question in The AQA Chemistry paper which sadly some of friends dis not. She had revised all the poems for Eng Lit so all OK there. Apparently some people were hopping mad because they had been told they only needed to Revise theme or character for Jekyl and Hyde and hadn’t revised character luckily Dds favorite Character came up in Jekyl and Hyde. AQA maths she said was worryingly easy (so she thinks she may have messed up) Physics sounds as though it was as expected. As was geography, French (all) and Eng Lang 1 .

Like others I think the weeks straight after half term is likely to hit hard. There are some hard combos on some days. Physics 2 and further maths non calc all on one day (rather her than me).

I hope all your DCs have a good rest as well as revision this half term. :D
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Is the English Language an IGCSE?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

IGCSE English Lit Edexcel Paper Two questions today were excellent especially Inspector calls and P and P.

A choice for each book which was great and you get to take the books in! DG
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

How can it be fair that those doing iGCSE Eng lit get the texts?
Makes a complete mockery of the system.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Is this the reason why the government stopped putting those schools in their comparison tables?
I heard that the schools that did IGCSEs would go at the bottom of the table. This was around 2015, I think. Dartford Grammar used to do languages IGCSEs and had to change.
At the school, they do past papers from several boards and compare them. My son said that the Edexcel languages papers were significantly harder than those by AQA.

I guess universities or 6th form schools do not go as far as to take exam boards into consideration?

Salsa
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Daogroupie wrote:IGCSE English Lit Edexcel Paper Two questions today were excellent especially Inspector calls and P and P.

A choice for each book which was great and you get to take the books in! DG
Moon unit wrote:How can it be fair that those doing iGCSE Eng lit get the texts?
Makes a complete mockery of the system.
The extra rigour claimed for IGCSEs comes from the stress of having to find the bit you're looking for in the open book exams, perhaps?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now