Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: GCSE 2020
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:49 pm 

tiffinboys wrote:
Both grammars in our area are known to err on the side of caution. I hope this time they will argue based on their past predictions vs actual results.

amen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:30 am 

Sending massive hugs to all to the DCs out there who are missing out on their exams and end of year activities. My DD was one of the lucky ones who got to say goodbye and they had their last day yesterday.

Not really sure what to do now! The school had set them work to do and past papers to practice at home but there doesn’t seem much point.

We have made the decision to give her a break and see what grades she gets in July. She can start to revise for any subject she fails over summer and do a retake when they happen.

I hope that all our DCs get the grades they deserve and are able to move onto their chosen schools/6th form.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:13 pm 

Difficult times indeed. We can't control the situation but we can control how we react to it.

Since there are no outdoor activities and social engagements (except online) possible - perhaps this time is best used to (depending on the DC choice and motivation) to remain productive and maintain the sense of purpose/achievement

a. progress / pick up extra-curricular skills e.g. music, IT, language, management, soft skills - there are several online courses - many free that they can pursue and get a sense of achievement. e.g. https://www.edx.org/, youtube also has several good courses.
b. set a fitness challenge with exercises based at home would be a good way to keep mentally and physically fit. As they say when your body is working, your mind isn't - hence, helps keep mental fitness too. e.g. https://darebee.com/
c. dust up old books and e-readers - read the books that they always wanted to but never had time for.
d. start working on AS level prep. Usually, the DCs choose the subjects of their choice/liking for A levels and hence, there may be a bit more interest to start looking at that. If one relaxes completely then may be more difficult to restart again. Lots of online material available as usual for various subjects. Work on strengthening the weak areas.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:01 pm 

You can now listen to stories on Audible - free of cost - no account or passwords needed - while the schools are closed.

Just access the URL: https://stories.audible.com/start-listen

Quote:
For as long as schools are closed, we're open.

Starting today, kids everywhere can instantly stream an incredible collection of stories, including titles across six different languages, that will help them continue dreaming, learning, and just being kids.

All stories are free to stream on your desktop, laptop, phone or tablet.

Explore the collection, select a title and start listening.

It's that easy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:27 pm 

test1 wrote:
Difficult times indeed. We can't control the situation but we can control how we react to it.

Since there are no outdoor activities and social engagements (except online) possible - perhaps this time is best used to (depending on the DC choice and motivation) to remain productive and maintain the sense of purpose/achievement

a. progress / pick up extra-curricular skills e.g. music, IT, language, management, soft skills - there are several online courses - many free that they can pursue and get a sense of achievement. e.g. https://www.edx.org/, youtube also has several good courses.
b. set a fitness challenge with exercises based at home would be a good way to keep mentally and physically fit. As they say when your body is working, your mind isn't - hence, helps keep mental fitness too. e.g. https://darebee.com/
c. dust up old books and e-readers - read the books that they always wanted to but never had time for.
d. start working on AS level prep. Usually, the DCs choose the subjects of their choice/liking for A levels and hence, there may be a bit more interest to start looking at that. If one relaxes completely then may be more difficult to restart again. Lots of online material available as usual for various subjects. Work on strengthening the weak areas.

Please stop test 1. I just deleted a rather sarcastic response to this. We are not all stupid. Please leave this thread open to sensible and helpful discussion rather than preaching or regurgitating selected news stories related to your own agenda. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:32 am 

Don’t you think test1 made efforts to be helpful?

Test1; you may like this thread and post there.
viewtopic.php?f=38&p=740175&sid=1fc3ecb212b716b8224b7c1b305b90aa#p740175

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:08 am 

Thank you test1, that was helpful. Appreciate it

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:22 am 

Quote:
Please stop test 1. I just deleted a rather sarcastic response to this. We are not all stupid. Please leave this thread open to sensible and helpful discussion rather than preaching or regurgitating selected news stories related to your own agenda. Thank you.

I don’t know how to use the quote function, so I just copied and pasted this rather unkind comment. Not sure if it’ll work.

I don’t post much but this forum has been really helpful and it’s tips and advise from people like test1 that helps me with my kids. I’m not sure what agenda you think they might have by pointing out that my kids can access audible free!

Let’s be courteous and not say things to people just because we are behind a screen.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:31 am 

We are all living in difficult times currently. We are all dealing with the unknown. Please be supportive to others who are going through the same thing, ie having DCs who need their parents etc to give them support at the moment too.

#BeKind

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:33 am 

kenyancowgirl wrote:
tiffinboys wrote:
Historically how accurate are schools’ predicted grades?

I believe that that is one of the measures they will be using as part of the "moderation" process (which is why getting the results will not happen overnight) - they want to check how accurate the school has been to counter those schools (and we all know one in our area!) that frequently over estimate - particularly for certain courses - to get students to the interview or offer stage.

This shows how important to work hard and taking every tests, assessments and mocks seriously.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next