GSCE 2021?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kal12003

Re: GSCE 2021?

Post by kal12003 »

PerpetualStudent wrote:Yesterday DD’s year were told that school will finish immediately after their revised two weeks of exams. Not completely sure when everything starts because dates keep shifting (everyone is a bit shell shocked at this point). Their year will finish abruptly on 28 May - it seems. Unless it doesn’t. Is everyone else finishing then or there abouts?
My Daughter's last day is Monday the 17th of May
PerpetualStudent

Post by PerpetualStudent »

Wow kal. So does that mean your DD had some time after the second round mocks? How much warning did you get that mid May was the end of her school year?
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Last / leavers' day here is 28 May too. Last exam is 27 May. I imagine the two weeks after half term will be used my the teachers to mark the exams and then decide on their grades to submit. They would have finished two weeks after half term in a "normal" year but their official leavers' day would have been before study leave in mid May.
PerpetualStudent

Thanks loobylou, it’s good to know what would have been normal previously. Of course in a normal year the students would have seen each other during the exams after official leavers day. DD’s school had suggested using 2 weeks post-exams on bridging to 6th form but that idea was quietly dropped and the 28 May finish was just announced. For DD, who is going to a different 6th form, it’s an abrupt and unceremonious end to her 5 years at this school. C’est la vie.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Yes I think it would feel very different for ds if he wasn't going back.
DD is year 13 and she also has leavers' day on 28 May. Again in a normal year she would have left y yesterday I think and then had study leave.
I'm just really hoping that the year 13 prom happens later on in June (year 11 isn't).
Cuddlermum

Post by Cuddlermum »

For my DD2, GCSE year, four weeks of exams set by school will finish for him on the 20th May then he will be finished with Year 11. Hopefully he'll get the grades to continue onto Sixth Form at same school as he hasn't applied for an alternative. He is at the local grammar.
Our excellent local comp, where DD1 finished four years ago is apparently going ahead with their Year 11 prom on the school field, with a marquee, which I think is a lovely idea. DD2 school don't really have any social to mark leaving the school until Year 13 to my knowledge.
I'm trying to think of ways to keep DD2 busy over the long break. DD1 had a place to go to for a few weeks where he had done work experience through his school which was helpful. DD2 looking forward to gaming for 3 1/2 months! Any ideas welcome, I have offered many suggestions but he hasn't been impressed with them, on the whole!
scooby1

Post by scooby1 »

My DS sat his last Mock on Thursday and had his leavers celebrations/ assembly yesterday. However, I have received an email that he will be set work to complete via Google Classroom until June. There is an expectations that student receive some sort of education until late June. Has any other schools requested this from pupils? These are not live lessons but more transition tasks.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... s-11-to-13

This gives guidance on the type of activities schools should consider for the time between half term and the official end of compulsory education for year 11s.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
KS10

Post by KS10 »

When DD was moving from KS4 to 5 she had transition work to do but nothing was marked or even looked at. Perhaps that was just her school though.
PerpetualStudent

I hadn’t realised there was an expectation that year 11 students would have some work for June. DD had her leavers’ assembly yesterday and that’s it. There is no provision of anything in June at all. The school must have thought of it at least briefly because they talked for a while of doing a couple of weeks of bridging classes but that got ditched when they suddenly announced the new set of exams.

Meanwhile we’re trying to come to terms with the ‘basket of evidence’ being used to calculate DD’s GCSE grades: it includes pieces of work they were told were for feedback only, and test results from year 9. It’s one thing to know that anything from year 11 might count and another to find random stuff from 3 years ago is part of your final grade.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now