Gcse english language and literature

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Moonsun

Gcse english language and literature

Post by Moonsun »

Hello
My DS is doing edexcel board and struggling with English gcses.

They will be doing Coram Boy, Macbeth and A Christmas Carol.

What books are good in preparing, would you recommend york notes or cgp or exam board books.

Any ideas and tips please.
KS10

Re: Gcse english language and literature

Post by KS10 »

Hi, is your ds in Year 10 or 11? I’m guessing Year 10.
Moonsun

Post by Moonsun »

Year 10.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Of the texts mentioned, my school does ‘Macbeth’. Which text is your ds doing right now?

I do have a longer answer saved somewhere - Mods, not sure how to retrieve it though - but thought I’d check which text he’s doing before posting something that might not be of much use right now.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

School's often make guides (the CGP ones at DS2's school) available at reduced cost). You could ask whether your DS's school will be doing this sometime in the coming year.

However, in the meantime, if he feels that he is struggling(in any subject), he should make his teachers aware of his specific problems as soon as possible.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

KS10 wrote:Of the texts mentioned, my school does ‘Macbeth’. Which text is your ds doing right now?

I do have a longer answer saved somewhere - Mods, not sure how to retrieve it though - but thought I’d check which text he’s doing before posting something that might not be of much use right now.
If you saved it, it may be in your messages. If not, try a search with yiu as author.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

yoyo123 wrote:
KS10 wrote:Of the texts mentioned, my school does ‘Macbeth’. Which text is your ds doing right now?

If you saved it, it may be in your messages. If not, try a search with yiu as author.
try "user control panel" (top right) then "manage drafts" (left hand side)
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Hi

First port of call would be to school teachers -they should be willing to help. I'd think about watching or listening to the texts - a film or audible book. We find Mr Bruff quite helpful as well (he has his own youtube channel)...he covers lots of different texts.

Hope that helps.
solimum

Post by solimum »

Try the RSC for Macbeth resources https://www.rsc.org.uk/macbeth/education" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Definitely look out for a live performance if you can, failing that a film.

It's been a GCSE text for some years so there is plenty out there with the kind of (fairly formulaic) answers the exam board are looking for.
But nothing beats experiencing live Shakespeare well acted for bringing the text alive
mad?

Post by mad? »

solimum wrote:But nothing beats experiencing live Shakespeare well acted for bringing the text alive
I'd agree with this. I would hold off revision books etc in year 10, at this stage DC should be fully immersing themselves in the test - and the short cuts tend to mitigate against doing this.
mad?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now