The Ebaccalaureate qualification

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
LPmum

The Ebaccalaureate qualification

Post by LPmum »

Hi, does anybody have any views on or experience of the above qualification? Is it actually useful to have it?

I understand that this is not a qualification in its own right but a combination of GCSE subjects, including a language. Most of these subjects are compulsory at my daughter's school anyway (English, maths, 3 sciences, ML etc) but it does require geography or history which at her school are not compulsory (although those kids who chose not to take at least one of these subject will obviously not get the Ebaccalaureate qualification). My daughter is considering taking 2 languages (yes, that other post about languages was mine - thank you so much for all the responses) which, with other choices that she has set her heart on, leaves her short of space for either history or geography. However, if she doesn't choose either geography or history she will not have a chance to achieve the Ebaccalaureate so we are not considering whether that actually matters (i.e. is it useful to have it).

Any thoughts on this qualification?
Many thanks!
PerpetualStudent

Re: The Ebaccalaureate qualification

Post by PerpetualStudent »

Hi LPmum,

The Ebacc, as you say, isn’t a real qualification but is intended to encourage the taking of enough academic subjects to form a sound academic foundation. But if geography and history leave your DD cold, and she gets a good English Literature mark to prove she can write an essay and mount a coherent argument, then IMO you should be fine. School Ebacc data just give everyone an idea of the academic orientation of the school. My DD just did her GCSEs last year. EBaccs weren’t mentioned once even though DD’s school insisted on a humanity GCSE.

HTH
PS
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

It only really matters to the school league table, it certainly doesn’t matter to your child..
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Tinkers wrote:It only really matters to the school league table, it certainly doesn’t matter to your child..
Quite true - I knew a lad who did several languages including greek and latin - full sciences - maths and ad maths, RE just didn't do geog or hist so no ebacc - didn't matter one bit
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

My children's GS made a thing about the pupils having a free choice at GCSE. I pressed my first two to do a language, but when I realised that they aren't actually taught to speak or communicate in the language I didn't try to talk number 3 into it. All 3 did geography or history, which I think are great subjects, but it wasn't compulsory & had they not, they all did RE (compulsory), which to me is a humanity although not counted as one in the "baccalaurate". No-one gets a certficate for this "qualification", it is purely for the league tables. No university asks for it. Of course, having said all that, everyone should be encouraged to do a good spread of GCSEs in order to have a runded education & keep their options open for A levels.
scary mum
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

My eldest didn't take Geography or History at GCSE as her free options were taken up by other subjects of more interest to her. We were slightly concerned at the time but she went on to receive offers from all five top universities she applied to and is now at Oxbridge.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now