Year 11 & delayed school trip...is it too close to exams?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Octsmum

Year 11 & delayed school trip...is it too close to exams?

Post by Octsmum »

Hi all

DD was due to go on a school trip in February 2022. We've just received a communication to say now postponed until February 2023. So, at this point, DD will be in year 11. I think her school does mocks in November. We can switch to the later date or get a full refund.

DD is our first one & only one through GSCE's, I don't really have much of a view of the timetable for the year....February will be after mocks But I'm not sure if they do 2 rounds? Is February sufficiently far out for her to have time to go on a school trip for the whole week? I guess she could take some work with her...but being realistic about the likelihood of that getting done!

Views please?
hermanmunster

Re: Year 11 & delayed school trip...is it too close to exams

Post by hermanmunster »

I would go for the jolly (if she wants to go ) - don't send any work, they will having far too good a time together to get anything like that done.

When schools days are over it is that week with friends which will be remembered and unlikely that one week will make a difference to grades.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The school would not have organised the trip for that date if it would affect mocks, so I think it would do a lot more good than harm. Go for it!
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Thank you both, much appreciated. I am inclined to support going on the school trip even though it is year 11.

DD has so far had every secondary school trip involving nights away cancelled because of Covid :cry:

When I look back, I remember the fun we had on our school trips & hence why we supported in the first place.
I think balance is important and if I say no - that implies I think she should be working all the time which I think would be detrimental to exam results too.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Octsmum wrote: When I look back, I remember the fun we had on our school trips & hence why we supported in the first place.
I think balance is important and if I say no - that implies I think she should be working all the time which I think would be detrimental to exam results too.
When I was at med school we had a 3 month elective period Jan-Mar in our final year, the final exams were in June. Did we work all the time we were on elective in some amazing sunny place ? did we 'eck - but we still passed the exams.
No they need a break at this stage and have good time with friends
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now