No Coursework in State School GCSE in 3 years ??

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tree

No Coursework in State School GCSE in 3 years ??

Post by Tree »

My daughter (year 9 comprehensive) was told at school today that when she takes her GCSE's there will be no coursework just exams, has anyone else heard of this being implemented in state schools or is this something specific to her school. She has parents evening in few weeks and I'll obviously ask for some clarification then but i just wondered if anyone else had heard anything ??
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

It totally depends upon the exam boards doesn't it? They are who sets what is required for the grades. Could it be that the school is doing more vocational based GCSE's? These usually run in 'modules' with an exam at the end of each module rather than an exam at the end of the year encompassing the whole year's learning. It usually results in higher grades - as students only have to remember it for a short time!
Tree

Post by Tree »

just done a little googling and you could be right they could mean the modular gcse which doesn't have any coursework but has exams throughout that you can resit once hmmm not sure quite what i think about that less easy to copy coursework but certainly easier than one single test at the end
another mother

Post by another mother »

as I understand it course work is being phased out across several boards. My younger DD is furious and thinks it's very unfair - she's in year 8 and is seeing her sister (year 11) currently writing essays - and getting certain marks 'in the bag'. I did hear one report on the radio that said that it was being done partly to redress the balance for boys who are often significantly less successful in coursework - the thinking being this will even up the gender gap. There will be longer timed essays, written at school, in some subjects.

I do feel sorry for my second girl - she'd like the challenge of being able to write longer and more considered pieces and doesn't enjoy the pressure of exams.
indepteach

Post by indepteach »

another mother wrote:I did hear one report on the radio that said that it was being done partly to redress the balance for boys who are often significantly less successful in coursework - the thinking being this will even up the gender gap.
That's one reason. Another reason for the move away from coursework is the amount of effort it takes to get the coursework in on time. A huge amount of time is spent in many schools chasing up coursework that has not been handed in on time. In some areas, coursework became parent work as they ended up writing most of it. In other areas some schools helped rather more, and it was no longer thought to be a level playing field. Some subjects have attempted to address this problem by doing in class assignments - but this can take up an awful lot of lesson time.
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

Not at his current school, but at his old school - OH would be forever chasing up coursework. He would offer 'coursework' sessions after school one night per week during the 'normal' time frame to get it done in, so that students could work in quiet surroundings, with computers etc. available to them. A few of the diligent workers would show up and appreciate the opportunity. Others? Well, he'd be chasing them still one year later, and then have to put up with abusive parents who said their child wasn't getting any help.....this school is now doing 'modules' with no coursework. His new school - a grammar - kids are eager to do well on their coursework, get it done in time and it's actually worth reading :)

I know my son, when doing his GCSE's, enjoyed the satisfaction and lack of pressure going into exams - knowing full well that he had done his best on coursework and was guaranteed a certain mark, with high possibility of an A* at GCSE if he did well in his exam as well.
dinah

Post by dinah »

For pupils currently in Year 9 the new English and English and Literature exams will start when they begin GCSEs in September. There will be no course work but controlled assessments instead. Essentially, this is taught material which is written in a classroom under exam conditions (if you can believe that) which is marked by the teacher and a sample is moderated by the exam board. The two major difficulties for some school will be the Shakespeare piece and the Pre 1914 Prose which will either be examined or written under controlled conditions in a classroom. Previously these have been course work. Read into it what you like.
Northkentmum

Post by Northkentmum »

My DD (yr 9) says they've been told they're going to study "Slumdog Millionaire" for the new type GCSE!!!! What's that all about?
NKM
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Well...it's a great film(esp the end)....but is it literature?
dinah

Post by dinah »

It isn't on any new syllabus I have looked at! Maybe it is being used as a starting point for creative writing or something similar. It's usual to use that book at KS3 but not as far as I know as an exam text.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now