How many GCSE's ?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum23

How many GCSE's ?

Post by mum23 »

Hi

I have a friend that has a nephew at Eton. She says the Head has said the boys only need to do 5 GCSE's as they don't need anymore.

Any idea why this is? and just curious,how many are your children doing?

Also why do so many children do 12 GCSE's ? Do they need that many ?

As you can tell I am new to all of this, so I would be grateful for your input.

Thanks
magwich2

How many GCSEs

Post by magwich2 »

To answer your question, DD did 13 GCSEs because it went some way towards relieving the boredom of being at school and because she wanted to do at least one more than her deadly rivals!
With hindsight I would say that 5 is not enough - the only point of the GCSEs as far as the child is concerned is the UCAS form. Most of the decent universities are looking at a collection of A and A* grades and if you don't have them you are going to stand out for all the wrong reasons!
I would also say that there is little point in doing most subjects unless you can get at least an A grade if you want to go to a good uni to read a popular subject.
Terrible that their entire education up to 16 culminates in a turgid collection of second rate exam qualifications but if that is the game then I guess you play it as well as you can!
KB

Post by KB »

I do know that a friend at a major public school did many fewer than our DC at state school but I'm sure it was more like 9.
Maybe its just 5 GCSEs & then they do some other qualifications?
I would say that 5 is not enough if you are looking at top Universities/ courses as they do look at GCSE grades.
Only thing I can suggest is that all the Eton boys take a gap year so apply to Uni after A2 results come out - thus the Unis have actual results to look at rather than GCSEs/AS grades as prediction of A2s?
What on earth do they do with all their time if they are only taking 5 GCSEs?
hilltop

Post by hilltop »

I think the reasoning is that you don't need to take GCSEs in the subjects you want to do at AS level. This allows you to start your AS levels a year earlier and do 5 or 6 over 2 years rather than 3 or 4 in one year.

Alas not available at our school. My son is doing 11 GCSEs but I can think of 7 subjects he could successfully do at AS level.
mum23

Post by mum23 »

Thanks for your interesting replies, we have options evening soon and have so much to think about !

To confuse me even more, I also have friends whose children have never been to school, don't bother with GCSE's at all and went straight onto A levels then to Uni. Apparently they know someone who did no exams and still got into Uni !

I just wonder if doing so many GCSE's spreads their knowledge on each subject thinly and if they would be better off concentrating on more knowledge for fewer topics ?
daughter

Post by daughter »

At the school my DD's go to they all do 9 (very exceptionally 8 if no MFL). It is an all girls indie. They stick to 9 subjects they want to do and no "filler" subjects e.g. if you don't want to do ICT they do the ECDL qualification which is much more practical. They all have to study RS (govt requirement) however they only do it as a GCSE subject if they have a genuine interest otherwise they do 1 lesson a week and it is much more diverse e.g. discussions on ethics, politics etc minimal or no homework. I was a little weary when I initially heard that they only did 9 but I have to say I am now a strong advocate of less is more. They have very good results at Oxbridge and other top unis so obviously it is not a problem.
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

If in fact people have gone on to Uni without any GCSE's, there may come a time where they will have to sit at least GCSE and English. Many university courses require a minimum C grade in both subjects, and in fact, many careers afterwards that require certification (teaching for one) will also require at least a C grade in English or Maths. This equivalency has to be proven in some way, particularly if the employer or university uses the services of NARIC for comparing qualifications.
mum23

Post by mum23 »

So much to think about this month as it is options time...
I know what you mean about proving your qualifications though,although apparently this boy studied Law at Oxford without doing any exams at all !

At least a grade C for English and Maths for teachers - do they need any more than this ? If not it may explain a few of my son's teachers :shock:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now