Options ? Thoughts please-we only have 2 weeks left

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

stevew61

Re: Options ? Thoughts please-we only have 2 weeks left

Post by stevew61 »

mum23 wrote:any thoughts on Dual v Triple Science would be most welcome.

Thanks
If your DS is willing and able then go triple science. Be aware some schools do it as double plus top up additional science. Do the school have the numbers and resources too make it work?

There is a government initiative to offer triple science to those who are able. I enquired at two local schools, one does the top up of additional science after school hours, the other said we don't need it our A level results are fine. :?

If you want to take any form of higher level science I would suggest going triple.

The availability of science is forming part of our school choice for DS2.

Off-topic I also want proper economics, maths, languages......

steve
Amber

Post by Amber »

Off-topic I also want proper economics, maths, languages......

I wish you the very best of British....

Keep quiet when you find it, we'll all be in the queue!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

stevew61 wrote: The availability of science is forming part of our school choice for DS2.
We used this as part of our appeal case last year for DD2. It's not that the school offered didn't do triple science, but those taking it were very much in the minority there - whereas at the school we were appealing for, it was the norm and the science department was therefore so much more geared up for it.
Marylou
Alex

Post by Alex »

DD's Grammar School does not offer triple science. They do Science in Year 10 then Additional Science in Year 11. They do not apparently get any problems when going on to A Level. The teachers do say, though, that they teach some A level things at GCSE level to stop the pupils becoming bored.

DS's Academy does separate sciences. However, when we asked questions at options evening we were told that doing separate sciences did not offer any more depth in any of the subjects; they just added more topics.

I don't know whether the board makes any difference.
mum23

Post by mum23 »

Thanks everyone for your thoughts...
KenR,Marylou,magwich2 I think the same as you, he should do the three.
solimum, I will have to find out how they are going to fit all this into the timetable. I will keep in mind your dual plus idea and ask at the options evening.It will be daft of they have to squash everything in.
Amber, you are quite right he is the level that will allow him to do the 3 separate sciences, It's just that the school are saying it is not necessary which has confused me a bit, plus then he can't take Geography which he was keen on (I'm not so keen though as it involves field trips in February and the last 2 have been dangerous in my opinion because of the snow!)
Looking for help, stevew61,Alex; thanks for your input, I must keep researching how they are actually going to teach all of this !

The exam board is AQA and dual looks like 3 things ? Science,Additional Science and OCR National Level 2 which if you get a distinction in is
equivalent to 4 GCSE's. The separate science is also AQA and they say they study this as WELL as the others which results in 3 GCSE's ! Surely they don't mean 7 in total ?! The booklet is really confusing when it comes to science all the other options are straightforward. They say only 20 students will be allowed to take the triple but again say there is no need ! Maybe they should have thought about that before we all raised money for the multi million pound new science block ? :?

Please keep the ideas coming, I appreciate it.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I think if this were me, in the face of all the confusing information coming out of the school, I would request an appointment with the head of science to bash this out on an individual basis. It is too important to get it wrong, and the figure of 20 is a strange one, clearly based on timetabling issues rather than actual demand. Surely if they can do 20, they can do 30? If you get no joy, take it higher. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and your DC has only one shot at this.

At my DD's school, the recommendation is that they do all 3 if they are considering any of them at A level. There is very much the assumption that the less able will do only 2.
mum23

Post by mum23 »

stevew61, you said be aware in case they do double plus top up additional science-this seems to be what they are going to do, so what should I be looking out for ? Thanks

Amber, we have an options evening in just over a weeks time so I will have a long list of questions !
Amber

Post by Amber »

stevew61, you said be aware in case they do double plus top up additional science-this seems to be what they are going to do, so what should I be looking out for ? Thanks
I am not Steve, clearly - but I think the ideal scenario is Physics, Chemistry and Biology as seperate GCSEs. Not all schools will allow this, but many will. If not, ask the question - why not?
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Another thing that seems strange - if they restrict the number for separate sciences to 20, what happens if more than that number reach level 6 or higher and they all want to be allowed to do separate sciences?

On second thoughts - could it be a ballpark figure based on how many they think are going to take this option?
Marylou
daughter

Post by daughter »

The school my DD's attend only does dual award science - all 3 sciences are studied separately and then a "GCSE" is achieved (3 separate exams) in year 10 and then a second one - I think it is called additional science in Year 11 - same exam format. They have many pupils go on to study science at A level - my DD1 is doing 2 sciences at AS level and is likely to take them both to A2 - no problems with the course content - although I think they possibly go slightly beyond GCSE at Yr 11.
They have several Oxbridge offers this year in sciences (including engineering and medicine) as well as arts subjects. Dual award doesn't seem to be a problem and I would slightly agree that triple is "not necessary" - although I can see some may want to do this. It certainly doesn't limit your A level /uni options.
Good luck deciding. :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now