Food Tech or Engineering or systems and control

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

Food Tech or Engineering or systems and control

Post by hermanmunster »

DDs all girls GS is an engineering specialty school. Hence they have to do one gcse of an engineering type out of food tech or engineering or sytems and control.

Any thoughts about which is considered more "academic" - more interesting - more useful?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

engineering.

The country needs more engineers.

or systems and control..
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

All I can tell you about is food tech - both my daughters have done this and to be honest in terms of practical cookery, there is only a very small amount, and it seems to be very repetitive, one made little kiwi fruit tarts every week for about what seemed like ages. Nice to start off with but very annoying every week. :x
There seems to be a huge amount of coursework though, which is very time consuming, although if you do well in the coursework you don't have to do particularly well in the written exam to score an A
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

yoyo123 wrote:engineering.

The country needs more engineers.

or systems and control..
I must say I am tending towards this route ... only problem is that she wants to do medicine and there were enough jokes in the past about needing a CSE in woodwork to do orthopaedics....
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi LFH - thanks for the comments - it was my perception that the course was more coursework and less cooking.... poss more the "production" side of things.

I reckon it would be better if at school they learnt both fabbo cordon bleu and how to put on a supper for 80 without batting an eyelid.
hilltop

Post by hilltop »

Has she had a try at all of the 3 types? Which did she prefer and which does she think she'll get a better grade in?
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Yes I agree, I think they have actually ended up with less interest in cooking as a result. However they can reel off a list of 50 superfoods with no hesitation (would never want to eat one though :roll: ), and we did get a wonderful Christmas cake one year :lol:
I have no idea what systems and control is, but it does sound interesting, but again check out the coursework loads, because it can be very hard work if the course is 60% or more coursework :shock:
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

Was in s similar position last year. My DD was not interested in DT but because she had to take one, she chose food tech as out of the tree options this one was the one she liked slightly more. What is your DD interested in doing? its no use picking a more academic one if she is not going to enjoy it. Food tech has been quit nice and my DD has enjoyed it. She has had to do research and come up with ideas which has maintained her interest. She is currently working on midifying recipes so that they would be suitable for diabetics whxi is found very stimulating. So, ask your DD to go with her gut feeling.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Thanks all!

At the mo DD is doing food tech (quite likes it ) and "DT" - likes it a bit more.

Not sure whether DT is like engineering ???? - anyone know?

Have heard (as mentioned above) that all have course work +++.

mmm plenty of questions for "curriculum evening"
cappucino

Post by cappucino »

hermanmunster wrote:
I must say I am tending towards this route ... only problem is that she wants to do medicine and there were enough jokes in the past about needing a CSE in woodwork to do orthopaedics....
We were told that food tech was good for medicine because they have to cover a lot if info on dietary problems, allergies, and other topics such as diabetes.

Just food for thought :?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now