Ideas for post-exam gifts

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KB

Post by KB »

I agree about not promising gifts for outcomes and that it is nice to celebrate when hard work pays off or indeed to get a change of scene if there is bad news- any excuse for a meal out :)

My understanding (perhaps incorrectly) was that the 'presents' being discussed were either as post-exam gifts or as 'suprise' gifts to celebrate hard won good results - not promised rewards. For me it is more a recognition of having made the next step to adulthood I think & we are careful to choose something appropriate/memorable rather than spend too much money.

DCs actually have preferred to work (either paid or voluntary) during the long summer breaks after GCSEs, A2s & at Uni. As the old saying goes ' a change is as good as a rest'! If they hang about at home they only get boring chores to do :)
zee

Post by zee »

wonderwoman wrote:We have never promised presents based on outcomes - it is just hideous if things go wrong.
I quite agree - sorry if I didn't make that clear.

With 11+ we did the special thing straight after the exams (i.e. for effort, not outcome); with GCSEs we intend to surprise him with something after the results, but not dependent on what those results are (he won't know what we're planning while he's revising etc).

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions.
KB

Post by KB »

With many starting study leave this/next week just wanted to send a quick 'best wishes' to all involved.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Thanks KB, do you have someone sitting GCSEs too? If so good luck to you too.
My daughter's school is running revision classes during study leave, which is great but it's an hour here and an hour there and it takes sooooo long to get there that I'm not sure they are really worth the effort, as the whole day is taken up with going in for 2 hours of revision, when she could be doing a lot more at home. Panicking myself now, as although this is our third time at GCSEs each one has been a different story, and this one is the biggest struggle I think :cry:

Presents for doing well? I think it's us parents that should be getting pressies for staying the course and trying our best to make sure all goes well for the children. :wink: :lol:

I always reward effort not grades, and apparently my children always try their best which leaves me considerably out of pocket all the time :lol:
KB

Post by KB »

LFH

I'm the worst to talk! but I think keeping calm at this stage is the best thing we can do. As you say, each child is different & even with years of exam experience now I still worry about them.

I agree about revision sessions but perhaps if DC has problems with a specific topic then a particuar session could be helpful.
Or if they get bogged down in the whole study leave thing & just need to 'touch base' - depends on how good the teachers are of course.

We don't have GCSEs this year - we are on A2s & Uni exams this time around.

Roll on 1 July :)
Looking for help

KB wrote:LFH

We don't have GCSEs this year - we are on A2s & Uni exams this time around.

Roll on 1 July :)
We are GCSE's A2s and Uni (just first year which apparently 'doesn't count' ) although my son gives absolutely nothing away, and I don't know whether he's doing any work at all, and since he's not here, what do I know :shock:

Losing the will to live slowly and painfully :shock: :lol:

Good luck to you too :lol:
KB

Post by KB »

Havent come across any Uni's where 1st year exams count to degree result but it seems in most places they do need to pass them (generally I think that means getting 40%). However lots of Unis will let them re-sit at the end of the summer.

Think the GCSE & A2 together year is the worst because the exams are stretched over such a long period of time. Hope you have a few half-decent bottles of wine at the ready :)
Looking for help

KB wrote:Havent come across any Uni's where 1st year exams count to degree result but it seems in most places they do need to pass them (generally I think that means getting 40%). However lots of Unis will let them re-sit at the end of the summer.

Think the GCSE & A2 together year is the worst because the exams are stretched over such a long period of time. Hope you have a few half-decent bottles of wine at the ready :)
The good news is that what you've just said tallies with my son, so he's not telling me nonsense, which he does most of the time :roll:

And we've not had A2 and GCSEs before , we've had all the other combinations, ie GCSE and AS, AS and A2s and the bliss that was GCSEs on its own, but this is definitely the worst year. As to the wine, I may have to admit myself somewhere for some actual rehab before the first of July. :lol: Actually no, I mean the first of September :lol:
marigold

Post by marigold »

Re exam rewards.

My neighbour's daughter was given £100. To this was added and extra £10 for every A or A* she achieved and £10 was taken off for every B or below.

I find this more than slightly bizarre.

My daughter got a ridiculously overpriced Jack Wills bag to use for the 6th form as her well done present, which had broken by half term.
solimum

Post by solimum »

marigold wrote:Re exam rewards.

My daughter got a ridiculously overpriced Jack Wills bag to use for the 6th form as her well done present, which had broken by half term.
My daughter has her eye on a Superdry shoulder bag, but as her last bag (Free Spirit?) has lasted for two years at least I'm hoping she has chosen sensibly again...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now