Good Luck tomorrow!

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Looking for help

Re: Good Luck tomorrow!

Post by Looking for help »

I'm reading this with interest. We've had a very mixed bag of results this time. A Levels were a disaster, Chemistry being the culprit, resulting in a few offers in clearing, but nothing my daughter was particularly enthusiastic about. A gap year and retakes are now necessary. We were as a family completely devestated last Thursday, however the reality is that she was not happy about either of her two choices, (and I think we all knew this) so perhaps it's a blessing in disguise, as going off and then quitting would have been equally disastrous.

Yesterday saw the next one going in to get results and then coming out in floods of tears. My instant thought that since I had got it so wrong last Thursday, it was going to be another disaster, and I nearly left the country. However I think the tears were relief, not sadness. She has results very similar to yours WW, and I am hugely proud of both my girls, one facing a year, possibly more of uncertainty and the way she is taking control of her life, and the other for have achieving her very best at GCSEs.

Congratulations to everyone who has done well, I am in awe of the quantities of As and A*s that are being reported.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

You are right Looking for help that its a blessing in disguise. No point for her doing what she doesnt want so hopefully the year would be enough for her to decide what she wants.

I am sure your girls would go on and do well with your support.
Impossible is Nothing.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Hi
LFH - your DD is right to not rush into anything.

I refused to take anything through clearing when I messed up - some of my friends did and a fantastically intelligent boy ended up dropping out and another finished his course, which he hated, and has never settled in a job.

My year out was a revelation - I grew up, did lots of things I wanted to do, travelled, worked and competed my horse. I also found that I quite enjoyed academic work and was good at it, when I was driven by my own desire to succeed. I did very well in my retakes (whole course in my day) and at university. Although I did have to aim for a different career, I have and do derive a great deal of satisfaction from my work and I have never pondered on the 'what if ...'.

This time next year .... hopefully you'll be looking back and thinking that was the best thing that happened. Top tip - keep her busy in September, it really hit me when all my friends left for uni, but that was the only downside.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now