English Bac

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mitasol

Re: English Bac

Post by mitasol »

The Ebacc is not currently a qualification in its own right.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Looking for help wrote:Maybe to appease people we could have the 'General' Bacc, the 'Arts' Bacc, the 'Science' Bacc....or just simple GCSEs :roll:

I know... we could call them diplomas !!!! (herman ducks ...)
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

hermanmunster wrote: I know... we could call them diplomas !!!! (herman ducks ...)
:lol:
moved

Post by moved »

I have now written to Michael Gove and my local MP urging them to increase the breadth of options available for the 5th subject.
HEADTEACHER

Post by HEADTEACHER »

The EBAC is actually an excellent idea because it ushers pupils towards options that are more likely to give them the rounded education they have been lacking in dropping a language. Languages are not just there to pad out the curriculum. A language helps the learner to develop a unique set of problem solving skills that will be of great benefit in other areas of life. British pupils have been denied this for too long.

Given too free a choice, pupils will opt for the easy subjects that don't serve to stretch them academically. Schools are about teaching and learning after all.

Please give Mr Gove a chance.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

moved wrote:I have now written to Michael Gove and my local MP urging them to increase the breadth of options available for the 5th subject.
I'm not averse to adding other subjects to the humanities but I think it's far more important that outside of the core components, children are given a genuine choice with their other options. If children are following the Ebac then the powers that schools currently enjoy, to impose other compulsory GCSE's, should be curtailed.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

mitasol wrote:
moved wrote:I have now written to Michael Gove and my local MP urging them to increase the breadth of options available for the 5th subject.
I'm not averse to adding other subjects to the humanities but I think it's far more important that outside of the core components, children are given a genuine choice with their other options. If children are following the Ebac then the powers that schools currently enjoy, to impose other compulsory GCSE's, should be curtailed.
Exactly i am happy about the ebacc but the children need also to have the option to add an art/design/tech option to their studies as well. After all we want rounded pupils. At the moment many schools wont be able to give that choice as they only allow 2 extra options after the CORE subjects(that include ict and rs at most schools). If these options are used up on a mfl and a humanity then what are the talented art students to do?
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

HEADTEACHER wrote:
Given too free a choice, pupils will opt for the easy subjects that don't serve to stretch them academically. Schools are about teaching and learning after all.
I don't think that is the case at all, and if the subjects offered by the school are easy and don't serve to stretch, it is hardly the pupils' fault.

I'm not particularly against this new measure, what I am against is schools being judged on it before it was known they would be, if you see what I mean. To assume that because you have studied Art or RS instead of history or geography that you are less well qualified than someone who has studied these 2 subjects is just silly.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

I like the idea of a wide range of subjects up to Y11.

At my DC grammer they study, maths, English and either double or triple science (depending on ability). They then choose: at least 1 mfl (French, German, Spanish), at least 1 humanity (Geog, history, RS), 1 tech subject and at least 1 creative. There is some flexibility and I feel they do too many GCSEs (12 or 13), but it does ensure a broad range, which I like.

The academic route isn't right for every child - but they still deserve a broad education.
guest43

Post by guest43 »

DD school official policy now released-

Ignore English bac

Maths, English, Science (all three except for the bottom half of bottom set who do two) and at least one Modern Language remain compulsory.

At least 1 from the Humanities-being History, Geography or RE highly recommended

On the other hand the local "Academy" are insisting on the full English Bac. Clearly the league tables are the most important thing to them, whilst DD's school is going to fall out of them as they are ditching English GCSE for the IGCSE.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now