Art

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum23*

Re: Art

Post by mum23* »

The process then would be A levels followed by a foundation then apply to art college with a portfolio and hopefully have some decent GCSEs and A levels as a back up. Don't think she will be applying to Russell Group. I think Oxford offer a fine art course but it wouldn't be an obvious contender for art degree I should think. There is no way DD would take a maths A level which seems to be the Russell Group's most wanted. I am definitely getting the feeling that having an artistic talent is rather seen as a second class thing lately. :( perhaps I need to join :lol: "notapushymum" forum for theatrical types!!!
drummer

Post by drummer »

I don't see where you get the idea that the arts are second class. Please remain as a pushy' mum, if by pushy you meant encouraging your child to work as hard as they possibly can in all their subjects towards a goal of being healthy, happy and somehow gainfully employed in something they have some passion for!

My original problem with whether to 'let' my son take art was in the knowledge that, while he is lucky enough to be very good he would be the first to admit he hasn't a passion for art and does not intend to make it a career.

My younger son has possibly less superficial natural talent BUT more passion for art so maybe he will lean that way. I would be delighted if any of my children could forge some sort of career in an area they loved - how wonderful!
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Drummer I do agree and I would be more than happy for my Dcs to have art based careers indeed it is almost certain both DDs will and I will support them all the way. With all the talk of so called soft subjects (one of which was art and design in that article about Oxbridge and Russell Unis) and the ebac I just get the impression that art is rather undervalued. btw "notapushymum" is for parents who are looking for theatrical auditions and tv film roles for their Dcs so ....probably the pushiest ever :lol: must admit to looking though as DD2 wants to take to the stage and has passed a couple of auditions! Any more must not be in school hours as her gs none to pleased about so much time off (having originally sanctioned). But that's a different subject.
drummer

Post by drummer »

I think the RG group are just being honest. If you want to do an academic degree at an elite university then you need to have studied certain subjects as they give the best grounding for such study. That in itself does not in any way imply that everybody SHOULD aspire to academic degree at an elite University. My eldest definitely should, not really so sure about dc2 and dc3.

A lot of children and parents have been mislead in the past about the rigour and value of various courses at GCSE and A'level.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

My DD has already chosen her GCSE subjects but now wishes she had studied history instead of geography. Unfortunately, she wasn't able to choose both at the time. Her current school has no sixth form so she will be going to the local college. Does anyone know if she would be able to take history at A Level even though she hasn't at GCSE? :)
drummer

Post by drummer »

History A without History GCSE: this came up this evening at the options talk I went to. It depends on the 6th form but at this particular school although desirable, it wasn't necessary however at least a B in English was required.

All such info will be in the 6th form prospectus - hopefully online
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes it should be possible; I'm not even sure that even if a school said you had to have the GCSE that you would have to agree with them.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now