ICT at GCSE

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Belinda

Re: ICT at GCSE

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
drummer

Post by drummer »

If someone wants to study ICT at Uni it is MATHS that is required. ICT at GCSE is just teaching them some compter skills that they would have learned anyway in the commisioning of other work for other subjects. It really is an utter waste of time and effort in a GS and really is only suitable for lower ability pupils in a comp.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

drummer wrote: really is only suitable for lower ability pupils in a comp.
Bit of a sweeping statement, I'd have thought.
drummer

Post by drummer »

who do you think it suitable for then? Any of the children who are really interested in ICT will be bored to tears and probably quite frustrated by the constraints and ought to be concentrating on their maths if they want an ICT related career.
PB Mum

Post by PB Mum »

My Y9 DD is taking the 7-unit ECDL exam over the course of the next two years...ICT is not offered at GCSE, so I've no idea how the content compares, but seems to be skills learning / testing, which I guess is what most of them need.
drummer

Post by drummer »

ECDL is different and is a qualification that some quite large organisations demand for many clerical level jobs. Could be quite useful for pupils looking for part-time work. I would happily support my child studying for the ECDL in addition to GCSEs but definitely not instead of an academically recognised GCSE subject.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I think you're perhaps expecting ratehr a lot of a GCSE. No one thinks GCSE History will turn a child into Lord Clark, why should we expect more from GCSE ICT? Not that I'm a great fan of it, imho ICT would be better addressed in a few sessions of PSE.

Mike
drummer

Post by drummer »

I am not expecting anything at all from GCSE ICT and think it is a complete waste of time and effort at best and at worst is misleading to the pupil/parents as to it's value.

ECDL could be useful to take if one is after a job in the near future that demands it. But that's it.
drummer

Post by drummer »

muffinmonster wrote:
Don't hold back! :lol:
will the above do? :lol:
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

DS is going to get a choice of GCSE ICT or GCSE computing. (I think he has to take one)

Does anyone know the difference and which would be most suitable for a very computer literate child?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now