Latin or History GCSE ?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sportsmum

Re: Latin or History GCSE ?

Post by Sportsmum »

Just a thought, but is your son doing Geography as one of his options? As if not, I would advise History - English Bacc and all! I take it there is an MFL involved in the choices as well?

To be honest, it is entirely up to your son, after all, he is the one that has to study the subject and sit the exam. My own son has decided that the syllabus is too dry for him, despite getting all As for his history work, the thought of Russian History is not for him. Which would he enjoy more?
zorro

Post by zorro »

Yes, he's doing Geography and French. He prefers History but only slightly, because he's not too keen on his current History teacher!Mind you, at a recent Parent's evening, the headmaster said to tell our children not to base their choices based on a certain teacher as they probably wouldn't end up having that teacher for GCSE.He's decided to stick with History I think and that's fine as Sportsmum rightly says - he is the one who has to study and sit the exam.
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

History teaching in state schools has all but collapsed whereas Latin teaching is on the up. I feel it is very misguided of your school to force a choice between the two and one wonders why on earth the two subjects are mutually exclusive. My daughter and her peers are currently able to study German, French, Latin, English, Maths, Geography, History, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Art & Design, IT, Music, Drama, Divinity and have time for sports Netball/Hocky and swimming. Not a state school true. I would be inclined to let him go with his choice but I would still make a stink about this invidious decision!
zorro

Post by zorro »

Sassie's Dad,
is your daughter taking 15 GCSE's? That is the number of subjects she is studying.
My DS is doing Maths, English, Physics, Chemistry, Biology (Triple Science), French, History, Geography, History, RS and Art.
It isn't a straight forward choice between Latin and History, History is the only subject he would have been prepared to drop.
The first 6 subjects on this list are compulsory and they are advised to do one Arts subject to break up all the academic work.
BTW this is not a state school either.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

History teaching in state schools has all but collapsed
Generalisations like this usually best avoided, I find. Both DCs are doing history GCSE, both at state schools, both at different state schools and doing different examination boards and both enjoying it very much.

Knowing your DS’s school, zorro, I’m also slightly surprised that they don’t push the Latin more, but if it’s come down to a straight choice for his last option, he should do the subject he enjoys more as both subjects are equally well regarded and equally academic.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Thanks Rob.
I was surprised that only one pupil chose Latin out of a class of 10 but most of them opted for Classical Civilisation instead. (Taught by the same teacher, so it is the subject not the teacher which is not popular)
doodles

Post by doodles »

Generally I think that it is rather sad that it is a case of either or. As a Latin student I think, that as a subject it has so much to offer and I am also of the camp that thinks History should be compulsory for a goodly part of one's education :oops:

I much prefer the approach of fitting the timetable round the students rather than vice versa but perhaps I am living in LaLa land.
guest43

Post by guest43 »

doodles wrote:
I much prefer the approach of fitting the timetable round the students rather than vice versa but perhaps I am living in LaLa land.
From my DD GCSE Option booklet

We endeavour to accommodate the first four option choices made by all students; one strength of *** School is that we create our block structure after and not before students have expressed their preferences.

So it can be done!
doodles

Post by doodles »

That's good to hear. :D
zorro

Post by zorro »

But that's only the first four options, what about the rest?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now