Criticism of early GCSE Maths

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

marigold

Re: Criticism of early GCSE Maths

Post by marigold »

Ashamed to say I did two years of statistics as part of my degree and apart from the words " null hypothesis " can remember nothing. I avert my eyes every time standardisation is mentioned on the forum and hurry back to the threads on people carriers and skirt lengths.
mad?

Post by mad? »

marigold wrote:Ashamed to say I did two years of statistics as part of my degree and apart from the words " null hypothesis " can remember nothing. I avert my eyes every time standardisation is mentioned on the forum and hurry back to the threads on people carriers and skirt lengths.
Ditto!
mad?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

digressing ( quietly in case they hear me in the dungeon) I had to help a friend;s daughter in 1st year of Uni with her Chemistry assignment last week. It is 21 years since I did 'real' science and I nearly fried my brain....with the help of several people, my ancient books and t'internet I finally got there :oops: :oops: :oops:

use it or lose it
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

marigold wrote:Ashamed to say I did two years of statistics as part of my degree and apart from the words " null hypothesis " can remember nothing. I avert my eyes every time standardisation is mentioned on the forum and hurry back to the threads on people carriers and skirt lengths.
Same as me :( My son was recently revising for a stats modules and kept on asking me things....I swaer stats has changed since I did it :oops: Couldn't even say anything meaningful about null hypotheses . My brain has been befuddled with children.
Tewks_Mom

Post by Tewks_Mom »

Hi there sorry am new to all this, *waves hello*. My son is in year 9 and has been achieving level 8s and 100% on most of his maths papers for quiet a while and so is doing his GCSE early (next Summer) and then doing something that is inbetween GCSE and A-level and the school assure us that the reason is otherwise he will get bored. Now appreciate the article is saying about schools just generally putting children forward to look better - but is it still in my son's best interests to take it early? They've assured me he *WILL* get an A* when questionning them about what happens if he doesn't and can he retake it.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

I am sure he will be absolutely fine - my daughter (year 9 and a summer birthday) has just done gcse maths (she had to do it as a private candidate at a local college) and found it very straightforward. She was getting 95% or more in the unseen past papers. If the school say he will get an A* I am pretty sure they will be proved right.
The only thing I would worry about slightly is what he does next - our school has actually been helpful and said that DD can do her open university work in maths lessons - you might care to consider this kind of course.
Good luck to your son anyway!
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

I forgot to say - the grade boundaries are approx 85% for an A* with edexcel and approx 80% with AQA for an A*
Tewks_Mom

Post by Tewks_Mom »

Thank you. They have a course in place following his GCSE which will apparently give him a few more UCAS points.
tokyonambu

Post by tokyonambu »

Tewks_Mom wrote:Thank you. They have a course in place following his GCSE which will apparently give him a few more UCAS points.
The OCR Free Standing Additional Maths looks very good.
Tewks_Mom

Post by Tewks_Mom »

Thanks for the link, shall go take a look :D