maths GCSE advice needed please

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mum23*

maths GCSE advice needed please

Post by mum23* »

DD1 is not very good at maths. Lowest set at GS. She will go into Y10 and we need some way of helping her pass her GCSE. I have bought various help books over the years but DD hasn't really used them and won't accept help from us/we can't always explain/run out of time/understand ourselves!! Basically we have got to the end of Y9 and DD is still behind.

We can't afford to pay a tutor for 2 years and the school had a one to one maths person but no longer seem to do this as I did ask at parents eve. (I assume due to cut backs).

We were considering an online maths course/CD which can track some sort of progress. The exam board is Edexel. We are happy to buy a decent resource if it is recommended.

The teacher has mentioned dyscalculia but in all honesty DD puts effort into the subjects she likes/is good at and is lazy with the others. Although our DD2 has dyslexia and there is supposed to be a greater likelihood of siblings having other spLDs.

Anyway we have tried various carrot and stick measures but need some advice from anyone who might have been there before. What might help?
katel

Re: maths GCSE advice needed please

Post by katel »

What is the school predicting for her? At my dd's school there are 7 sets for maths - and they are all predicted to pass. Dd is in set 4 of 7 and is still expected to get an A. Often being in a low set is good because they tend to be smaller, so you get more attention.
moved

Post by moved »

I have just looked at the lower set prediction for DS' SS GS and it is an A at GCSE.

If she is weak have you tried reasoning with her about the value of maths? Most DC don't try when they believe that they are weak. It may be worth pointing out that bottom set grammar is still higher than the local school and plenty of them get good grades.

What level was she at the end of y6? What level is she now? Level 6 in Y9 would indicate at least a B at GCSE.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Thanks for the replies. DD got 2 level 5s and a 4 for maths in the Y6 SATs although I don't know the sub level and has got a 6C in the latest report with 34% in the end of year maths test :(

We have had the "now it's year 10, time to knuckle down" chat because DD has definitely slacked off this year and there doesn't seem to have been that much homework. Plus she has turned into "Kevin" the teenager this year so that hasn't helped. A moody artistic temperamental Kevin at that :roll:
Ok, to give her some credit, her report was mostly Bs for effort grade (B for maths too) with As in her best subjects and a couple of Cs but it is obvious where her talents lie (100% in the art exam every year). We have said she needs the maths GCSE even to get to art college and I think she realises this. We have said she should try and catch up a bit on the maths over the summer (nothing too draconian but DS is working for 11+ so she won't be the only one with some studying to do). She doesn't like mymaths but I would be happy to try an online course with her or CDrom. If I leave it to her she will be on facebook or surfing for clothes/music.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

One of my children was like yours, in bottom set at GS for Maths. There was also always talk but never any action about dyslexia/discalculia.It was a constant worry for her and she was absolutely convinced she would not pass her GCSE. I do not know if it was because she was in the bottom set that she lacked confidence. Anyway the long and the short of it is, we did past papers fairly frequently, I think if you do it at the same time you will learn along with her. It is not that difficult, the biggest problem I had was surds (I'm sure they didn't have them in my day :oops: ) Also websites like BBC Bitesize are pretty good especially if all you want is a solid GCSE pass, and are not aiming for A*

If you download the past papers, you can also download the answers I think, so even if you don't know how to do it, you'd still know whether she was right/wrong.

If she is doing modular GCSE then you will have four exams, all of which can be retaken if the worst happens.

My daughter got a B at GCSE, which made her more happy than some of her As.

Edited to add....now she's in the 6th form and not doing Maths, she is much much happier :D
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

LFH many thanks for that. It has made me feel better that it is possible to work at it and pass. I think we would all be chuffed to bits if DD got a B. DD is left handed, arty and good at English so the written subjects all go well but that maths pass is a must so we have got to get there somehow. I will try your past papers tip. At least we can see the gaps then and target the help. I know she will moan about doing it but I can tell her about your DD and try and inspire her. :D thanks very much.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

My daughter moaned all the time, but she was afraid of doing badly and I think that's what spurred her on. I believed she could have got an A because the knowledge was all there but she often panicked in maths exams, right from back in primary school (mental maths tests ...aaaaargh). She is also English orientated, her written work is really good, and we found that once she got into 6th form and all the subjects she hated have been dropped (Science, Maths, French), she really has blossomed.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moved

Post by moved »

If DD2 is doing papers this summer then DD1 may be "happy" to do some too. You could try printing off some SATs papers, level 5-7, and see which areas are not secure and then sit with her and explain. I wouldn't worry about mental maths as it isn't tested at GCSE. The link for the old SATs papers is: http://www.emaths.co.uk/KS3SAT.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am in a similar situation with English and will be working on it with DS this summer ready for controlled assessment in October. :(
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Do be aware of syllabus changes in GCSE Maths - and Mr Gove's 'position' on the future of modular exams!

The new Maths GCSE is very different - see the new modular papers for examples of the questions. QWC - quality of written communication - is now assessed and students have to select the correct methods with questions being much less structured.

I have PM'd further advice to the OP.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now