IGCSE options - advice needed

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tokyonambu

Re: IGCSE options - advice needed

Post by tokyonambu »

supertrex wrote:His teacher said if he takes music in uni, then okay to study DT, music & Bio in A2 coz most universities do not specifically requested which A level subjects he studies besides music.
If you're talking about more selective universities, the other A Levels would still need to pass through the "facilitating" filter, which DT is highly unlikely to.

The Russell Group guidance (http://russellgroup.ac.uk/uploads/Infor ... ated_2.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; --- this is absolutely essential reading) says:
Music

ESSENTIAL ADVANCED LEVEL QUALIFICATIONS

For most traditional courses, Music and Grade VII/VIII.

USEFUL ADVANCED LEVEL QUALIFICATIONS

Some universities have a preference for at least one essay-based subject.
supertrex

Post by supertrex »

tokyonambu, thanks for the info. I will go through them thorough.

You might know why I got a big head >> I don't secure with Bio alone, plus DT & music

If he does want to study music few years later (though his strength is in music), he would have no choices no mater how excellent his A level results in these subjects.

DT & music, are not core subjects to me.
supertrex

Post by supertrex »

below is the quote from teacher:

I think my advice would actually to study Class Civ, Chemistry and Biology, along with DT & Music, so not study Geography.

Looking at the UCAS site (http://www.ucas.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) it does not appear to matter which A levels are studied to read Music, apart from Music itself! So studying Biology & DT as well at A level would be fine.

By studying Chemistry at GCSE, it would allow him to continue with this at A level, which he would need to, if he did decide to study Biology at university. He could then take Biology, Chemistry & Music at A level.

In the L6 students take four subjects (at AS), so provided the AS option blocks worked, he could actually study Music, DT, Biology & Chemistry in the L6, before deciding on three of these for the U6.
unquote

Given such background, I am trying to persuade him to study chemistry in GCSE. I understand he may not very interested in taking it, but there should be a balance between "interest" and "reality".
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Sorry if this is me being stupid, but I thought everyone had to take all sciences to GCSEs. I would always encourage the following :-
English x 2
Maths
Science x2 or 3
a MFL
History/Geography
RE
DT
Art/Music/PE
(most of which are compulsory dependent on options)

This equals a minimum of 10 GCSEs. Whether they are iCGSEs or not.

That gives you coverage of the English Bacc and plenty of choice for A Levels.

The one thing I would really not encourage is a dilution of choice at the end or y9

I would also say that music can be added as an A level for a talented student who has not taken a GCSE in the subject ( but is around the grade 5 mark).
supertrex

Post by supertrex »

Looking for help -- you are absolutely correct. Option blocks were actually given by school (as what you have outlined).

My son's original choice was perfect:
- English, Maths, RS (compulsory)
- Bio, chem (he's so pissed off Physics)
- Georg
- DT
- Music
(total 8 subjects)

The worse was his chem result in final exam was not good. My son said he's not really interested in chem, but I doubted that he didn't really revise thoroughly (as what teacher said). If he didn't revise thoroughly, underperformance was expected. Given the result, just before the term ended, he said he wanted to drop chem and replaced with CC. It is because CC has better result in exam.

My point is taking bio without chem is sort of silly. It will 99.9% limit his choices in many science related subjects in uni.

I know my son has to responsible for his own choices, the role for teachers and parents are to provide some advice.

If this happen to you, as parent, will you just leave for his own decision or try to persudade (or force) him to take chem??
hilltop

Post by hilltop »

Besides music, what are your son's strengths. I don't mean in school subject terms but is he very logical, good at essay writing, great with people, very practical etc.

Besides music what other careers is he interested in?

If biology is is his only science GCSE and he doesn't take maths with the biology for A level ,then science options at university will be limited.

What A level subjects does your school offer that aren't offered at GCSE eg. psychology. Are any of these of interest? Psychology goes well with biology. If it's the ecology/environmental side of biology he likes then geography would go well.

Personally I would go with Chemistry rather than CC.
daughter

Post by daughter »

Are we talking about an international school? Agree with above comment that a minimum of 2 sciences should be taken to GCSE. In fact I believe all 3 should be (the benefits of the double award) - most schools will not allow pupils to drop to 2 sciences (never heard of only 1). I believe all DC should study 3 sciences even if it is just for general knowledge and being able to understand and function in todays world - (in the same way English and Maths are needed to function).
Before deciding to definitely drop Chemistry I think you should seek further advice - maybe from tertiary institutions as I think it could be quite limiting.

Good luck- Daughter
supertrex

Post by supertrex »

Last night, I had a candid talk with my son.

He told me that both physics & chem are not his strength, and he has no confidence to obtain high marks, he even doubts if he would get a pass.

I explained and showed him some entry requirements set by Uni (the Russell Group). I told him his decision in GCSE subjects has great impact on the A Level subjects, and hence, also impact his subjects in Uni. If he makes up his mind studying music, that's fine with me. However, it is highly likely that he may change after few years. If he decided / limited himself too early, he would find difficulties later on. He kept silent after that. Seemed whether he is interested in certain subjects is the only concern, he doesn't seem to consider the impact.

My sister, who studied chem in uni, also helped to persuade him the importance of taking bio + chem (or physics). I also doubted that he doesn't really understand chem so he thinks it's difficult to remember. My sister is happy to do some tuitions for him.

I do hope he is more open in his option and don't give up too early by simply saying "I don't have the interest......"

This is really energy-draining....

- he's studying in independent school.
- his strength is in music, he's not good in language / writing
moved

Post by moved »

Out of interest what languages does he speak?
xyzzy

Post by xyzzy »

supertrex wrote: - his strength is in music, he's not good in language / writing
Music at A Level, and certainly at university level, will be heavily essay based. Music performance is what you do at a conservatoire, but is a very different sort of qualification. To get into a conservatoire, you'll obviously need a very, very high standard playing, probably beyond the Grade VII/VIII you need for a university music degree. It's also auditioned, which university music degrees in general aren't.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now