How to help DD with GCSE Maths

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Re: How to help DD with GCSE Maths

Post by Guest55 »

Barnet mum - there ARE no past papers - 2012 is the first time this syllabus is being examined. Old papers will not prepare you sufficiently.

We're using all sorts e.g. modular papers, specimen papers from other boards ... and tweaking old questions - lots of work for us teachers!
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

scary mum wrote:She does have MyMaths but it is a struggle to get her to do anything extra at all for maths although I think she will have to before June :D . Hopefully her recent mocks will help her realise that!!
I am in exactly the same boat with my daughter! She got her mock result today and it was certainly not what she had hoped for. This has definitely been a 'wake up' call for her. The trouble is she has difficulty staying motivated with certain subjects and what she says one day can be completely different the next!

I find it all quite stressful and worrying at times and we have had a few disagreements on the way. Sometimes I think she may only realise the importance of her education when it's too late. :(

If anyone has any advice on how to keep a teenager motivated until the end of June, I would be very grateful. :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I have a whole class of 30 to motivate - some years two classes! :lol:

The secret is to make revision fun by varying the style of lesson - at home different subjects need different revision techniques.

Does she have to get certain grades to move to a Sixth Form? Help them to see these next few months as a 'next step'. If they have University in mind maybe show them how important it is not to get grade Ds - a string of good grades is ideal!
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Guest55, could you give me an idea of what are good revision techniques for maths? DD will be doing the higher level papers and is an A* candidate (as described by teacher today). As you can probably gather, her mock results have not reflected this!

I don't think she really has a technique for revising, certainly not one she enjoys anyway. She has done past papers and used the CGP books to help but I think she finds it all rather uninspiring.

She needs a minimum of 5 GCSE grades A-C for Sixth Form and is on track to achieve this comfortably. However, we have had a bit of a wobble today and she can only learn from this. I really hope so anyway!

How lovely it would be if you could be her motivater (if there is such a word). Any chance, do you think? :lol:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Past papers can be a bit boring and so I try to make up questions on cards. Harder questions earn more points - pairs of pupils can challenge each other.

The Kangaroo link has questions at different grades (and answers) -

Ue any past paper to analyse areas of weakness then try lots of that type.

My theory is if there's a topic they can't do e.g. percentages then I need to try something a bit different to make it 'stick'.

The MyMaths booster sections are good because they can log-in and it tracks which questions they get right so knowing where the need to practise.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Guest55, thank you for your prompt reply. You have been really helpful.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That's why I'm here ... :D
Kit

Post by Kit »

Wow, thanks for all of your replies, particularly to Guest55!

I've ordered a revision guide and Collins book and DD and I are going to sit down together this weekend and have a look at the online suggestions and come up with a plan of attack.

I also used Amber's determined DC as an example of what you can achieve by going the extra mile yourself.

I'll let you know how things go :)
Kit

Post by Kit »

Well, twenty months on I can report that DD managed not one, but two A*s in her Maths GCSEs.
Thanks again to everyone who replied back then, especially Guest 55 and Amber (and her DD who I used as an example of what self-motivation can do).

For anyone else in a similar situation, take heart! DD plugged away by herself on MyMaths, I bought the Collins book and Edexcel revision guide and she did lots from that but still lacked confidence in her Maths ability.
The final piece of the jigsaw was 4 x 1hr sessions with a private tutor last Christmas.
Last edited by Kit on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

KB - that's brilliant! Well done to her. :D

It is so important that they feel confident - happy to help you back then with a way forward.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now