Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Eraldo

GCSE Revision 2015

Post by Eraldo »

Hi all
This is all about GCSE revesion.
Can someone how to prepare for GCSE -like when to start and how to start revising and what materials to start from. :roll:
One of my friend said that everything will be done at school and we parents not to worry -is that right ?
please guide me as a parent as in the recent assessments my child didn't score well am little worried. :shock:
many thanks
Eraldo
thankgoditsover

Re: GCSE Revision 2015

Post by thankgoditsover »

Hi my oldest dd is at our local comp in yr11. She has made her own flash cards for the different subjects, we have bought her various study guides and the school are providing after school revision classes in certain subjects. Oh and most of all add in continuous nagging from me! I'm sure everyone will chip in on this subject as everyone has different methods. I certainly wouldn't rely on just the school. Good luck.
KB

Post by KB »

Certainly don't rely on school - DCs need plenty of support from home too.

I would start by contacting the school - if they are good then you can get their advice on where the weaknesses are and work with them.

As far as home based support goes then study guides are really helpful but start by making sure DCs notes from school are all up to date so you are revising rather than covering new material.

For 'factual' subjects then making and constant revision of 'flash' cards is a great idea.

For subjects that require more application of understanding eg. maths, then constant practice of material (eg questions in revision guides) is also helpful.

When do they have the mock exams?
Its a good idea to try to revise as much as possible for these as they will give a better idea of where any problems lie and what is going well.

It is certainly a good idea to start now - particularly with making sure material is all in place and everything has been understood.

Christmas holidays are a good opportunity to make headway with revision and after that if the school do not set practice papers then make a start with some each week at home.

By the Easter holidays the goal should be to be doing past papers and going over revision cards rather than starting a panic programme of learning (this is the ideal but rest assured there will be many 16 year olds for whom Easter marks the start of the revision process)

Try to take it calmly and avoid too much stress - slow and steady wins the race :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

We run help sessions at lunch time; ask if the school does this.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now