GCSEs in your family this summer? Come and hide here!

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Looking for help

Re: GCSEs in your family this summer? Come and hide here!

Post by Looking for help »

I have read somewhere that the modular exam was designed with boys in mind - because they mature often later than girls and disappear into that grunting teenage behaviour about 14 and often don't come out again till after the age of 16 (my oldest was like that). It was very difficult to get through to him and things like revision timetables and help from his mother did nothing to get him into the swing off revising for GCSEs. More luck than judgement got him through that.

However by the time he was into his A Levels he was a different character, a pleasure to be with again, and revision and work was not the same issue.

With my daughters it was a different kettle of fish, they were out of their typical teenage behaviours by the time they were in year 10 and there was none of the confrontational stuff that we had gone through with my older son.

I have to say they think my middle name is nag - have you done this, where is that, when are you going to do this, blah blah blah - whatever floats your boat and works for your kids. In the end they will talk to you again, and might even have some decent results to show for the horrible time they spend at the age of 16 doing ridiculous numbers of exams
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

We've been struggling with DS1 and GCSEs. Our problem is a bit different, his chosen revision technique is to go through CGP books making notes which is very effective but far too slow, he should be finished by xmas. :shock:

I've tried to explain that he must have learnt something in the last two years so he can just tick off some pages and move on, speed up. But no he wants a complete set of notes - a message from his teachers that he has taken to literally.

This self imposed routine has led to rabbit-in-headlights syndrome of it is all too much, however, yesterday we had a result.

He completed first half of chemistry so we tested using a 2008 paper, he scored 53 out of 60, the boundary for A* was 45. He now accepts that he doesn't need to know everything 100% . :roll: We also identified a topic, electrolysis, that he can put in a little work to boost his marks.

Half of one subject down, ten more to go.

Completing a paper has boosted confidence, he can see the light at the end of the tunnel. :D

Good luck everyone, over the coming weeks we might neede it.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

At this stage past papers are the best for identifying the gaps - or use the specification and traffic light it: red - haven't a clue (ask teacher next term); amber ( needs some revision and then practising); green (I know this so just need to practise).

Past papers, except for the most recent are on the websites:

AQA - http://www.aqa.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Edexcel -www.edexcel.org.uk
OCR - http://www.ocr.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check you are using the correct syllabus especially for Maths as there are no 'old' papers but the new modular ones will be useful.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Thank you Fran17. We will do a timetable today although I may have to suggest this a little later on as we have just had a small dispute over revision!
Guest55 wrote:At this stage past papers are the best for identifying the gaps - or use the specification and traffic light it: red - haven't a clue (ask teacher next term); amber ( needs some revision and then practising); green (I know this so just need to practise).

Check you are using the correct syllabus especially for Maths as there are no 'old' papers but the new modular ones will be useful.
Thank you Guest55. I really like the idea of the traffic light system and will suggest this later on today once DD and I are talking to one another again!
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Hope it helps Moonlight.

Love the idea of the traffic light system Guest55. I have just spoken to my son about it. :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'm surprised they haven't met it at school; we use it a lot in the plenary to assess understanding.
Caroline1852

Post by Caroline1852 »

Moonlight wrote:Thank you Fran17. We will do a timetable today although I may have to suggest this a little later on as we have just had a small dispute over revision!
Guest55 wrote:At this stage past papers are the best for identifying the gaps - or use the specification and traffic light it: red - haven't a clue (ask teacher next term); amber ( needs some revision and then practising); green (I know this so just need to practise).

Thank you Guest55. I really like the idea of the traffic light system and will suggest this later on today once DD and I are talking to one another again!
Very useful, thank you.

My 16 yo son has no exam technique. But I'm not sure I have anything useful to pass on to him as I think I have no exam technique either.

I think a timetable is a good idea. How much work do you think they need to be doing over this holiday?
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Caroline1852,

Your first paragraph made me chuckle and got me wondering what exactly is a good revision technique? Any suggestions from anyone would be very welcome!

We now have a timetable (at last) and I am hoping that my daughter will do between three to four hours of revision a day. There will be a couple of days where she won't revise at all because we are going out. I don't know if this is realistic or optimistic or just not enough. Again, other thoughts would be welcome here. :)
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

From what I can see, mine are doing three to four hours revision a day. DS1 maybe a little bit more as he is doing A levels. Who knows what the right amount is. Roll on July!! :D
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

My dd is following the accelerated curriculum and is taking 10 gcses in may/June even though she is year ten. She is a hard worker but erratic...some days she does hours and hours then goes off the boil for a couple of days and does nothing. I believe it's the lack of maturity of being only just turned 15 :(