Return to two tier system?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
yoyo123

Re: Return to two tier system?

Post by yoyo123 »

The trouble with fixed mixed ability groups is that children are not of fixed ability!

eg in maths they may be slower at calculation, but a complete whizz when it comes to problem solving and logic or shape and spatial awareness.

similarly with streaming you may have a child who is way above average ability in maths , but is unable to read well. Do you keep them behind in maths because they can't read the textbook?
Minesh

Re: Return to two tier system?

Post by Minesh »

YoYO
i have posted elsewhere but could you advise then on Head of Faculty who keeps DC back (set 2) in physics not because of understanding of physics concepts but silly errors in calculatons -
Head of Physics has said no to 34 in top set (other parents etc) and that i can write to Head

I have put in a letter stating that learning need should have been addressed, me informed about it earlier in order to address it with the school - my feeling is if things are beginning to slip it seems why take 6 months to inform parents -

Any advice welcome on angle of argument to persuade as i guess Schools do not want to give in to 'pushy parent' but if any other subject that would have been ok but DC wants to do pure physics and this DC best subject

Who can help and if Head says 'no' do i stop there?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now