Business Studies

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SN

Business Studies

Post by SN »

My son has chosen business studies as one of his GCSE options. Just wanted some advice if it is a recognized subject by universities. My son has heard some stories that it is an easy subject and may not be respected by Universities. This was a subject he was very keen on taking as his school does not offer Economics for GCSE. Now he is in 2 minds if he should change it. Any help on this matter would be appreciated.
scary mum

Re: Business Studies

Post by scary mum »

I just did a quick search because I thought I had seen something about this before. The only thing which came up was your previous thread! I guess the same advice still holds. Somewhere on here there is a thread with the advice from the Russell Group etc on which optons are considered "soft", but I couldn't find it just now. Anecdotally I have heard that anything with the word "studies" in it should be viewed with some suspicion, but maybe that's just at A level? I do know that DD's friends who did it really enjoyed it.
scary mum
SN

Post by SN »

Thank you scary mum. A few more replies would be much appreciated. If anyone's children are offering this subject and what they think about will be helpful.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I think for GCSE it's fine.....it is not on the 'facilitating subjects list' for the Russel Group for A Level though

http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/media/inf ... latest.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

Cambridge and LSE publish lists of non-preferred subjects. Both universities list the following as less effective
preparation for university: Accounting, Art and Design, Business Studies, Communication Studies, Design and
Technology, Drama and Theatre Studies, Home Economics, Information and Communication Technology, Media
Studies, Music Technology, Sports Studies and Travel and Tourism. In addition LSE singles out Law (but Cambridge
does not) and Cambridge lists: Dance, Film Studies, Health and Social Care, Leisure Studies, Performance Studies,
Performing Arts, Photography and Physical Education.8,9
None of the other research-intensive universities publish an overall list of non-preferred subjects. However, our
data on A-levels accepted in 2007-08 shows that the vast majority of research-intensive universities admit fewer
‘soft’ A-levels and more traditional A-levels in comparison with the national uptake of these subjects in schools. In
some universities, including Oxford, Imperial College London, University College London, Bristol, Durham University
and St Andrews University, the difference in uptake of ‘soft’ and traditional subjects is very significant. The majority
of heads of admissions we spoke to confirmed that some subjects were not considered adequate preparation by
their university or by particular departments.
Cambridge and LSE stress that they are not ruling out these subjects completely. They say that studying one of these
subjects will be acceptable only in combination with two other traditional subjects. It is clear from our discussions
with heads of admissions that this is the standard approach with non-preferred subjects across the research-intensive
universities. However, if a course is inundated with strong applications from students with a straight set of traditional
A-levels one must wonder whether a student with one non-preferred A-level will be narrowing their odds of
acceptance.Without clear advice from universities pupils and parents are left to play a guessing game about which subjectsmight give an advantage when it comes to applying to a leading university. It has long been accepted that General Studies is often not preferred by universities and should be regarded as more of an ‘add-on’ to other A-levels. Some of the ‘softer’ arts A-levels, such as Media Studies and Music Technology, may be easy to pinpoint as less traditional. However, the new ‘professional’ A-levels are more confusing. It seems particularly unfair to expect pupils or parents to instinctively know that Law, Accounting and Business Studies may be considered ‘soft’ or less desirable by many top universities.

The above is from http://www.policyexchange.org.uk/images ... c%2008.pdf
solimum

Post by solimum »

The quotes above are mostly about A levels. As a GCSE amongst a balanced mixture there shouldn't be a problem. I know plenty of DC with Business Studies GCSEs who have proceeded to respectable universities,including Oxbridge.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

At GCSE a spread of options and high grades are needed.

The above article should be ignored as the same thing has been said about all non Ebacc subjects.

The list of A levels should be treated with caution as there are subjects on this which are 'required' for some degree courses.
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

I think what is needed, not only in this case but for everyone, is to arm your self with as much knowedge as you can. If you know or have a rough idea of what you want to study at Uni, then have a look at what various universities require for GCSE ad A Levels for that course. If you don't know what you will be doing at Uni (and many don't at this stage) then choose subjects that will leave your options open, but most importantly choose those you like as you are more likely to do well in the subjests you like than in those you don't. Unis are now looking at GCSE grades as well as A Level ones and the spread of grades. It is better to have 10 or so GCSEs all with good grades than 13 or 14 with As, Bs and Cs. Good luck
SN

Post by SN »

Thank you everyone and specially Bromley Mum for the replies. The reason my son chose business studies is because his school does not offer economics for GCSE. At the moment he likes to offer Economics and Maths for A Levels but may change his mind you never know. I wonder if computing is considered as a soft subject too as he is offering it for GCSE and maybe for A levels too.