GCSE query

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Belinda

Re: GCSE query

Post by Belinda »

Thank you Guest 55.
The quote adds weight but I doubt it would stand up in a court. And for the poor students and helpless parents it's always going to be a losing battle that gets no further than a meeting with the headteacher (at best).

My hope is that with forthcoming changes to GCSE modules, resits etc - all schools will slowly move back to everything being sat at the end of Y11 in the interests of the students and their league results. :D
It's the psychological damage too for more than a handful of students. They may get 8 A grades in year 10 but at what cost?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It doesn't have to stand up in court - just the scrutiny of an Ofsted inspection.

If the school can't show that the progress of its pupils is better than national then they are at risk. If parents comment on their disapproval of early entry then so much the better!
daveg

Post by daveg »

Guest55 wrote: If the school can't show that the progress of its pupils is better than national then they are at risk.
Of course, a school whose intake is substantially deprived may be doing early entry, getting C at best and still being doing better than national average in terms of progress.

It would be interesting, if a little politically sensitive, to correlate the schools that have had bad outcomes in the recent English hoo-hah with schools that do early entry, whether in English or in other subjects.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Thank you again Guest 55,
I think I am disillusioned. Sorry. :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

So am I Belinda! I am fed up with a certain person in Government who is undermining state education. I think a lot of teachers have never felt so fed-up.

The progress measure are now for 'expected progress' (3 levels ie level 4 to C) and now also for 'more than expected progress' ( 4 or more!). It is likely that a school that settles on grades C will be vulnerable,
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

I'm sorry Guest 55, I couldn't begin to understand what it must be like for you / teachers (and that's with a brother and a sister who are both teachers). As a parent, it's been quite surreal at times navigating my little ones through playgroup, infants, juniors and secondary school. Our (my) ideals never quite matched schools'. But then it seems it was never quite the schools' ideals in the first place. I am a somewhat ignorant parent. :lol: I do like to think I'm not at times though. :wink:

DD is in her final (uni) year and is contemplating four options next year; teaching is one of them. :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now