GCSE query

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Paramjeet

Re: GCSE query

Post by Paramjeet »

my DC school requests students do more than 10 (I think). Quality not quantity, they don't do 14 or 15 just to boost league table performance.
Sallyltb

Post by Sallyltb »

My daughter's school do not allow them to take more than 10 (although a small number do a home language such as Gujarati or Arabic outside school). Most of the girls then go on to get all/mostly all A* with a couple of As and they have plenty of time for extra curricular activities.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

My son is doing 12, 2 of which will be done in Y10, I really don't know what I think of it all. The 2 he is doing in y10 are RE and Statistics. Re started well before the end oy year 9, so should be fine, but the statistics started this term, and as a consequence no maths will be studied till after the GCSE in May. Hopefully this shouldn't be a problem. At least I hope it isn't a problem. Gulp :shock:
Mindset

Post by Mindset »

This model of examining (short fat courses in a year, do the exam, never think of that topic again) is entirely about getting guaranteed passes, and boosting league table positions. Sadly it's not about engendering life long learning or a love for a subject.

My local school does the same but over 3 years (the children pick options in year 8, when more than half the year are 12) so children take GCSEs in Y9 and then never touch that subject again, or have a huge 2 year gap prior to picking it at Alevel.

I find it quite sad :(
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

The really annoying thing to me is that the university admissions tutors could halt this circus tomorrow and so could UCAS simply by saying they will only look at the best 8 gcses taken in year 11 and no others.
Grossly irresponsible of them not to do so.
Amber

Post by Amber »

magwich2 wrote:The really annoying thing to me is that the university admissions tutors could halt this circus tomorrow and so could UCAS simply by saying they will only look at the best 8 gcses taken in year 11 and no others.
Grossly irresponsible of them not to do so.
I agree - this is a great idea IMHO. Though the linear GCSEs about to be introduced (for the 2 years before they in turn get chucked out for the EBACC) will address this to a certain extent. It is true IMHO that this kind of tinkering is done by schools with a cynical eye to league tables. As someone once quoted on another thread, a B is a B, whenever you get it. It isn't counted as an A just because you did it a year early. Very bad for kids, but fine for schools looking at their A*- C count. The OP needs to be mindful of workload in Year 11 if additional qualifications are added into the timetable (what would be missed to factor in AS Science?) in case this has a knock-on dilution factor for grades, which may already be in jeopardy because of sitting some GCSE modules in Year 9.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I've taught various science GCSEs and A level, and did science O'levels then A levels myself many moons ago - all without a gap between GCSE / O level and A level. I'm just wracking my brains to think how much a one year gap would have mattered to me when I was at school, or to the pupils I taught, and my gut feeling is don't sweat over it! I'm not sure how much a year off science would really matter! Maths and ICT skills are just as important, if not more so, to scientists these days.

I very much remember when revising for O'level sciences realising that the bulk of each subject could be summarised on about 4 sheets of A4. A' level seemed much bulkier by comparison, but of course could have been fitted into the corner of a degree.

If a child is interested in, and good at science, a year off school science might actually do them the power of good scientifically - they could read New Scientist, watch relevant and up to date DVDs and follow their own interests a bit in the "year out". Subjects can be so much more desirable when you are not studying them at school.

People manage to have a gap year and then start a degree, so it can't be impossible between GCSE and A level. Has the school done this before or is it a new system they have just introduced for your child's year group?
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

I don't think it's fair for children who have sat an exam at the end of Y10 to be compared to those who sat it at the end of Y11, but this is what must inevitably happen on university applications. An extra year could make a significant difference to the grade obtained, which could be crucial if the child has ambitions towards a competitive degree course or top-level university. It's such a shame that someone who could easily get an A or A* at the end of Y11 should have to settle for a B or C because their school makes them sit the exam in Y10, and probably won't allow a retake so that they can fulfil their potential because their grade is considered "satisfactory".

The opportunity to sit one or more GCSEs early used to be reserved for really bright children who were destined to get top grades even without the extra year. Now it's done so that schools can maximize their pass rate, which I think is totally wrong as it distorts the achievement of otherwise potentially very able pupils.
Marylou
mystery

Post by mystery »

I agree, but I don't think that is what the OP is worrying about.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

mystery wrote:I agree, but I don't think that is what the OP is worrying about.
True, as she says it's a system they are "stuck with", but my concern would be that the school clearly hasn't thought through the implications for the pupils taking the exam early.
Marylou