English literature GCSE outside school

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
asdguest

Re: English literature GCSE outside school

Post by asdguest »

I would look on some of the home education websites and find where they sit external exams. Not sure if it's still going, but we found places via Education Otherwise.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Your son can do IGCSE literature from home. I don't think he can do GCSE from home due to the coursework.

Most colleges and Independent schools allow private candidates but you do pay a fee for that which varies. This is a good list to find an exam center http://www.edexcel.com/i-am-a/student/p ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have send you a pm with a recommendation.
Impossible is Nothing.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

I'd ask for a meeting with the head of English fairly urgently if I were you. Being on a bursary should not come into it and you should not be treated any differently.

I know that in some schools DC may be asked to sit as private candidates. Your centre is the school. He should not sit anywhere else. After all, schools let students sit GCSEs in subjects not taught there - home languages, etc - so why should he go elsewhere?

Find out their reasoning for not entering him. And what is he going to do when the rest of the class is taught Lit? Twiddle his thumbs?

And get things put into writing as well. This whole thing does not seem fair to me. No matter what grade they think he will get, surely it is his entitlement to have that grade?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now