English literature GCSE outside school

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mumtoone

English literature GCSE outside school

Post by mumtoone »

My child is at an independent school which we are happy with, but they are not putting my child in for the english literature GCSE exam. They say that they don't think he will pass,therefore there is no point putting him in for it. He is a very bright child but sometimes needs that extra push. We are on a very good bursary so my hands are tied.
I am looking for a teacher or a centre that can help my child through this exam. He is top in most subjects and I cannot understand why he is not being put through. Please Please if anyone knows of a good tutor or centre that can get my child through this exam..You can PM me thanks :roll:
ginx

Re: English literature GCSE outside school

Post by ginx »

Hi,

I know this isn't the answer to your question, but I thought all dc had to do English Lit GCSE? Or is your dc supposed to be doing the exam early?

Sorry I can't help with the tutor, what area are you in?
Amber

Post by Amber »

On the face of it, this is unbelievable. I would be making quite a fuss about this if I were you.
mumtoone

Post by mumtoone »

He will only be taking English language. I also thought they would have to take English lit at all schools but independent schools have their own say I suppose. He is doing so well only for this and he needs it if he wants to take A level drama.
We are in south london but I am willing to travel.
Thanks so much
mumtoone

Post by mumtoone »

Yes I have made a fuss but not much I can do now. If he is on maybe C border they will not want him to take the exam.
He is top for most subjects History A Geog A Maths A but is lower in English.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I do this kind of thing but I think I would definitely be too far away. I think your problem is less likely to be getting a tutor than getting an exam centre for him to sit the exam at. Therefore would it be worth trying one of those tutoring colleges which seem quite prolific in London?
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

or look for evening classes? I did 2 evening classes whilst at school as I wanted to do a subject that wasn't offered and wanted to do well in one that was taught badly.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I too am horrified. Could you get information from the school exactly what the problem is and what grade they think he should get. I understand that you are in a slightly delicate position with the bursary, but they still should be able to provide you with a detailed explanation, as well as the reason why they can't help your son to achieve at least a C. Has the school been burnt by this summer's problems with the English exams. I actually thought everyone did English lit. Is there a foundation level for this subject.
scary mum
mumtoone

Post by mumtoone »

I think evening classes would be too much as he gets so much homework. I was even going to cancel his piano lessons in the evening due to so much homework.

I would like one to one but if a college with small classes would put him through the exam it would be great. I have been looking but it seems to be for older students or retakes.

HELP!
mumtoone

Post by mumtoone »

Well I am going to let it go and just find somewhere so he can take it outside. I do not want him pulled out last minute if I complain even more.
He says he wants to get an A* just to show them he can pass the exam. I have never seen him work so hard,such ashame for him as he also cannot understand why but it is all about leaque tables :evil:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now