What do the Russell Group have to say about GCSE's?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Re: What do the Russell Group have to say about GCSE's?

Post by Guest55 »

With respect I would say that I have taught a good deal more young people than you met at Uni DG.

I am not talking about 'blind' choices but informed choices - and, by the way, RG universites are not the best for everything.

{I'm shocked at the tutor's attitude - name and shame the college please}
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

:lol: season of goodwill, please :D

I've decided on my New Year's Resolution, 1024X768 :lol:
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Like :)
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I have Further maths A level and did engineering. While it was good to have, it wasn't necessary and most students didn't have it way back when I did it. Those without certainly didn't struggle as a result of not having it. I'm not sure if things have changed that much. If the mathematical ability is there, then lack of F.maths shouldn't be a problem.

As for choosing GCSE subjects and whether our DCs should be able to choose or or not, I think its going to depend a lot on each individual and their parents. In some cases parents will see their DCs picking subjects for all the wrong reasons, so need guidance to steer them in the right direction. Others will be mature enough to know what they want to do and what they are best at, they can and should have a large say in what they do. I certainly knew what I wanted to do, and despite the careers teacher trying to warn me off doing all three sciences as 'it might be a bit difficult for a girl' I picked my own options.

I'd add that I've been to a few careers fairs in the last year or two. The other thing that still scares me is how many parents seem to have decided what career they offspring should do. I've asked students if they are interested in engineering and a small but significant number have said, 'my dad says I should do engineering.' And they plainly really are not interested. I talk to them to give a outsiders view. (Dealing with the 'Parents know nothing' attitude!) but at the end I've often added that if engineering doesn't appeal to them then they should look at other careers.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Guest55 wrote:One GCSE won't be a crucial factor - he may not want a course offered by a Russell Group Uni anyway!

It's more important to get good results at GCSE in a spread of subjects - pupils do work harder if they enjoy what they are learning.
I have to agree!

learning should be fun , part of life, and done for the sheer joy of it..I have known so many people who have studied things they were not interested in, to either fit in , or because other people decided..

I left school at 17 because I didn't want to be a teacher..20 years later I became a teacher..but I would have been awful at 21..I needed to decide for myself
Sallyltb

Post by Sallyltb »

Most universities look at the 'best eight' GCSEs, which they expect to show a range of academic study. Most schools timetable ten subjects per pupil. So my touts would be to take a basic eight 'academic' subjects and up to two for 'fun'. So Maths, English Lit & Lang, a MFL! a humanity, two or three sciences form the core and then there is plenty of room left.
new2me

Post by new2me »

At 13 I think our children are old enough to make some decisions about their GCSE options, but as a parent I will ensure that they a balanced set of GCSEs that should cover most future career choices.

My DC will take English, Maths, Triple Science, either French or German (his choice) and either Geography or History (again his choice). He will then be free to choose what else to include in his options list. I would never allow my DS to miss out any of these core subjects but it will be entirely his decision of he chooses drama or music instead of a second MFL or second SS and whether he takes business studies or one of the design and technology options. Would any top university really rule out an aspiring medic because he took a drama GCSE instead of German?

I strongly believe that at 13 we should be allowing our children to make choices were appropriate and the outcome has no huge impact on their future. It is better to give them the freedom to make choices about minor matters now and learn from the experience than wait until they are older when wrong choices may have a more significant impact on their lives.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Life is about making decisions and then experiencing the consequences of those decisions. The sooner our children learn to take responsibility for decisions regarding their futures, the better. However, it doesn't do any harm to help them along the way. It depends upon the child's maturity, attitudes, confidence levels and knowledge as to whether they are capable of making sensible, informed decisions. Of course, gain as much knowledge as you can, impart as much of it as you can to your child and discuss their options at length. It seems to me this is what you are doing DG.

If one of mine were to have made a disastrous decision which we felt would have had a detrimental impact upon their future, we would have stepped in. However, I cannot think of anything worse than being forced to study a subject which I had no interest in or, even worse, disliked.

I am aware that many employers place much importance upon the calibre of university that is listed in a CV but as Guest55 said, it may well be that the course your child wants to study isn't catered for at a RG university or, indeed, may be catered for better elsewhere. We found this with our eldest DS who preferred the course at Loughborough (a non RG uni) to the other unis he looked at. I am sure your DC will make good choices and you will recognise how much guidance they need.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Don't be shocked, but I don't know anything about Russell Group universities. Which ones are they? I have no idea.

Like new2me, having agreed with ds1 that sciences in particular were important, he's done all the other core subjects, with just one subject to choose - he chose ICT, which he really enjoys and is doing well at. I've read on here that Russell Group universities don't recognise ICT. Should I be worried? He's doing maths, english, triple science, geography (which someone on here said was an "easy" subject - is that true?), French and ICT.

Can someone tell me more about the Russell Group?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Russell Group are a 'self-selected' group of Universities focussed on research:

http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some people believe that going to one of these is the 'be all and end all' and many schools 'boast' about how many students go to one of these.

However, for some courses they do not offer the 'best' course and, because they selected themselves, there are others that should be looked at. For example, as Fran17 said, Loughborough is not a RG uni but it is well-respected.