AQA PE and OCR Economics

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Re: AQA PE and OCR Economics

Post by Amber »

Au contraire, JRM...all the advice I have received on this thread has been really valuable and I thank you all.

I am now somewhat shamefaced but feel I ought to come clean. I had a kind of epiphany (forgive the pun) during the night...and realised that what DS probably should do is add in the Philosophy and Ethics element to the compulsory short course RE to give his extra option (and at his school, a study period too). It's what his sister did, she reckons it was 'easy' (which gives him the slightly less pressured subject he is looking for) and I think in terms of further study it will be the most useful for him.

I hope the advice on this thread will be useful for others and it did help me a lot so even though I think he will end up doing neither (he is quite taken with the RE idea) I hope no one feels they wasted time advising me. Sorry if so. :oops:
JRM

Post by JRM »

That will be good and hopefully very interesting for someone who may go down the PPE route. I'm not looking foward to the selecting GCSE stage. We used to just choose what we liked and not have to worry about what it meant untilw e chose A levels.
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
P's mum

Post by P's mum »

Perhaps no longre relevant to the original poster but as a professonal ecnomist who didn't start until the second year of university I say to say that GCSE economics is almost certainly a total waste of time. University economics will certainly not require school economics and will probably bear little ressemblance to the subject taught in school.

Well taught PE (done by DD) will offer the opportunity to try out lots of different traditional (team) and non-traditional sports. I must admit that I wonder how effective this will be with linear exams. Commonsense suggests that they may not be appropriate for subjects (e.g. art, PE, DT and probably some others). Theory overlaps with biology, DD says thats its 'commonsense' not necessarily a view shared by some of her less scientifically minded classmates - it also includes other stuff of varying apparent value.
P's mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now