GCSE option help

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scary mum

Re: GCSE option help

Post by scary mum »

Daogroupie wrote:Educate Dad about Mr Gove and ebac. He needs to do either History or Geography. DG
I'm not sure we take any notice of Mr Gove on here!
scary mum
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

^^ :lol: :lol:

DG- Ds was adamant he would be doing both modern and ancient history, dad is saying he should consider dropping the modern history and do both economics and computing, so would still have the Ancient History in place.

But, that would then mean all three choices are ones that aren't necessary for further study at A level :shock:
Well, son is still saying he'll do both history's and computing and do economics at a level.
ahap

Post by ahap »

I quite like the sound of that. If he is interested in becoming a Lawyer then History is a good option, let him do those because he seems to like it and if he likes it he will do well IMO. Computing, dad can help and he can do Economics for A/L as well as History & also English.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
khanj010

Post by khanj010 »

My daughter has also been struggling what to choose for her options. She is is intersested at the moment with being a optition/dentist or a pharmacist, so which options will be helpful for her.
we have at the moment chosen health and social care but is this for people more interested in nursing/socialworker basically in the careing profession. any suggestions would be helpful thanks :)
Amber

Post by Amber »

scary mum wrote:
Daogroupie wrote:Educate Dad about Mr Gove and ebac. He needs to do either History or Geography. DG
I'm not sure we take any notice of Mr Gove on here!
Indeed. There might be very good reasons for choosing either History or Geography; the EBACC is not one of them. It's a political measure which has no 'teeth' , is unlikely to be of interest to universities and will almost certainly be quietly dropped before the next election.

For dentistry you need a couple of sciences to A level, probably maths to AS and DT at GCSE is a good one too. I think many dental schools like you to have played a musical instrument and evidence of manual dexterity is needed. Entrance is very competitive so worth getting your child to do some research. Lots of A*s at GCSE a good start, but don't worry about the subjects too much. Health and social care is not well thought of and certainly not needed for any of the career options you mention.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Do you think it's possible to take up an economics gcse outside of school maybe if my DS was to keep his modern and ancient history and computing choices? I don't like the idea do dad saying to drop the modern history in favour of economics.
moved

Post by moved »

I wouldn't bother taking extra GCSEs, without very good cause. Certainly not economics, when he already has a full selection of good choices. If he wants to take economics then let him take the A level in VIth form.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

But what happens if he then decided to try it at A level not having a clue what it's all about and then finds he doesn't really want to do it and quit? Do they then get to just swap? Didn't think they'd be allowed to do that? :|
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

A level and GCSE Economics are different anyway - most schools have Induction days where they can 'try out' lessons to see if they like them. They can usually swap in the first few weeks of the course.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Thank you Guest55, this really is unknown territory for me :?