IGCSE Business Studies or GCSE Computer Science

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Midget Man

Re: IGCSE Business Studies or GCSE Computer Science

Post by Midget Man »

I don't think that either and I don't believe someone going to uni and needs all those natural sciences would not be taking them anyway.

The computer science is not taking away the natural science, children still have to take 3 out of the 4.
moved

Post by moved »

They can have the eBacc with single science and computer studies, but cannot have it if they do a subject other than history or geography. It just seems daft to me!
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Computer science does not affect what subjects are offered in different areas of the ebacc, just an extra one added into the sciences, surprised but then also surprised RS is not within the humanities section but I do believe a humanity should be taken by all anyway.
moved

Post by moved »

When I wrote to my MP concerning RE the response was that as RE is compulsory anyway it didn't need to be in the eBacc!

I would actually like to see a creative/sport/technical element in there too, that, for me, would be where computing would belong. I am not denigrating computing, but I don't think it should be given more standing than engineering, for example. We need computer scientists, engineers, musicians, poets, artists, etc. The eBacc now contains 5 STEM subjects, which seems a little unbalanced.

The idea of a broad and balanced education is a good one - this just doesn't feel as though it is fulfilling that requirement.

I just think the eBacc is too narrow, too prescriptive and inadequate in the modern world.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

moved wrote:When I wrote to my MP concerning RE the response was that as RE is compulsory anyway it didn't need to be in the eBacc!

I would actually like to see a creative/sport/technical element in there too, that, for me, would be where computing would belong. I am not denigrating computing, but I don't think it should be given more standing than engineering, for example. We need computer scientists, engineers, musicians, poets, artists, etc. The eBacc now contains 5 STEM subjects, which seems a little unbalanced.

The idea of a broad and balanced education is a good one - this just doesn't feel as though it is fulfilling that requirement.

I just think the eBacc is too narrow, too prescriptive and inadequate in the modern world.

I know RE is compulsory, but I'm not sure if actually doing the GCSE RE is compulsory? I don't know. Don't most schools do the half version?
If this is the case then I see no reason why the full GCSE in RE couldn't be included in the EBacc alongside history, geography and possibly others.
As it stands, it is too narrow and all it is is a league table measure that I don't think many are that worried about.
moved

Post by moved »

The gcse is not compulsory. It is an option subject, once other criteria have been fulfilled. The good thing though is that schools are often ignoring the tables and branching out beyond the government path.

Pates scored 0% this year as the English qualification taken by its pupils is not yet recognised. I don't think this will stop parents from trying to get their children into the school. KEGS in Chelmsford will follow suit next year as all of its science GCSEs are not included in the tables.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I know RE is compulsory, but I'm not sure if actually doing the GCSE RE is compulsory? I don't know. Don't most schools do the half version?
GCSE RE is not compulsory at DS's school but is at his sisters!The boys school have it as a standard option in year nine(no 1/2 option available), whereas the girls all sit it early in year 10.
I agree that it should count as an EBacc humanity. Not sure about computing being a science though!

Back to the OP - Another vote for computing over business studies.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now