gcse workload too high?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

heartmum

Re: gcse workload too high?

Post by heartmum »

DC1 has chosen Art, but it is their passion, one of their strenghts and love doing it - with the other choices, I did encourage DC to look at those where their strengths lie but also subjects DC enjoys, otherwise they're just not going to put the work in.

After just seeing the careers adviser at DCs school, who gave some really good advice, DCs subject choices do give two options with regards to careers - both areas DC loves and has a passion for and is very strong in academically (albeit very different) - arts & design on one side and science/geography on the other.

Look at what your DCs strenghts are, are they happy to spend hours doing a large amount coursework or would they be better with a smaller % of coursework with the main % points from a final exam?
Heartmum x x x
moved

Post by moved »

Jean.Brodie wrote:I really would avoid Psychology, Sociology, Economics, Business Studies, PE at GCSE. University Admissions Tutors at leading faculties don't rate them and don't like to see them on an Application Form.
While I would agree with the above point if a child were only taking a few GCSEs, I don't think that university admissions tutors will hold it against a child if they have any of these on their application form in addition to the standard collection of maths, 2 English, 3 sciences, an MFL or classic and RE/history/geography. I think a talent of some sort and an interest should be included in the mix to show breadth.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I agree moved! I've helped hundreds of students with university applications and if they have a broad spread which includes PE or Business Studies, there is absolutely no problem.
Torrylee

Post by Torrylee »

Guest55 wrote:Art is the 'killer' coursework wise - it seems never ending!
yoyo123 wrote:I agree about the art coursework.
P's mum wrote:Agree with guest55 enormous amount of course for art. To the best of my knowledge this is the most demanding GCSE it is
not 'relaxing' you really need to want to to do this subject.
+1

DS now in Y12 but the memories of two years of Art coursework have yet to fade for us as parents :shock:. The quantity required was overwhelming for him. That said, by the end of the course we had come to the conclusion that he was particularly slow at completing each piece and put hours into small sketches that perhaps shouldn't have taken so long. Overall it requires good planning and time management skills which DS lacked; this resulted in periods of parental nagging which we could all have done without :( .

So yes it is a good contrast subject but don't underestimate the commitment required to do well.