RE or DT Systems?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daogroupie

Re: RE or DT Systems?

Post by Daogroupie »

We are huge fans of RS which really should be renamed as it is more about Moral Philosophy and Ethics. It is an absolute given that both dds will do it for GCSE and A level. Could you add your extra options into the course at school as some of the best parts of RS are the moral dilemmas and arguing them through with the class. It is a shame that your school does not do GCSE Economics as your ds is so interested in it. Do they offer A level? DG
ginx

Post by ginx »

My dd2 loves RE and we all talk about it, as it is indeed about morals. My ds1 did not opt to choose DT and now wishes he really had done, but he was getting low grades in the subject at the time he had to choose options.

I think choosing between RE and DT is difficult. I think RE is great and much more interesting than I had expected. I think I would go for RE.

Good luck!
um

Post by um »

Thanks for all your posts. They've been really helpful.

Mike1880, I have seen no paperwork yet, and Options evening is after half-term, so I am going by ds1's understanding, which was that the RS course was Christianity and Ethics - but it may well be Philosophy and Ethics. He has actually really enjoyed the RS work at school and been quite enthused by it. Then again, as I pointed out before, he's had such good teaching that he's probably able to complete the GCSE under home guidance :D .

DH is pushing for the Systems course...but we have to take into account that ds1 is not his dad :wink:

As ds1 doesn't play a musical instrument, or play any sport to a high level, or show any general artistic aptitude, I wonder if the DT qualification would give some evidence of practicality/ability to use his hands? I'd read somewhere that dental schools like some evidence of dexterity, such as playing a musical instrument.

On the other hand, I agree that ethics is useful for any medical professional.
Y

Post by Y »

What I recall from my DD doing a short course in RS was that on the ethics side (which was the 'half' she did), you were presented with a paper of questions divided into sections by religion, and were advised to answer on the section that you had studied! This may vary by Board, of course, but potentially, your DS could answer from the 'Islam' section, whilst the others answered from the 'Christianity' section.

As I recall, classroom discussions and homework featured questions along the lines of 'Is X right or wrong, and what is Christianity's (or insert name of religion here) view on it'. I suspect that what your DS is being offered by the school is 'Philosophy and Ethics', taking the 'Christian' option.

Do let us know how you get on!

(Don't worry about whether the DT and RS are 'academic' or 'well-thought-of' subjects. He's got plenty of academic subjects in that list and the choice should be made on other grounds - inclination, future usefulness, how good he is at them, etc)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Slightly oof topic, but at our GS they all do RS GCSE as they have to do the subject anyway - used to do short course but they have expanded it now. DD did DT (resistant materials, though), it was hard work, with the coursework taking up a lot of time, but very enjoyable. Needs a lot of attention to detail.
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now