What have our kids chosen?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
monstermum

Re: What have our kids chosen?

Post by monstermum »

Many let you do A'level science with double science but there must be a disadvantage as not as much of the basics will have been covered in GCSE. At my son's grammar only the top third are 'allowed' to do triple science. Lucky for my son he was chosen, as he is looking into engineering, however seems unfair.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

At my DS' school you have to have gained an A at GCSE in order to study it at A level. But they do allow those entering the school for 6th form to have only done dual or applied sciences to study it but still have to have obtained an A. What they won't allow though is for you to study Physics without also taking on maths.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Quite co-incidentally, I was discussing this with my sister who is a chemistry teacher. A few of the local secondaries here won't allow A level science to be taken if student has only done dual science GCSE. Her response was that it was just daft. Some of her A level chemistry students that only took dual award outperform those who have triple science by a long way, and none have any difficultly keeping up. Usually they have taken dual award as they wanted to be able to take another subject and keep their choices just that little bit broader.
KB

Post by KB »

I think it depends quite a bit on which board they have studied at GCSE and the general level of the students starting A level -eg. if most of them have studied IGCSE then those coming in with only a double award would have to be prepared to put in a lot of work to keep up.