A2/AS results on Thursday, then GCSE the following week!

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

moved

A2/AS results on Thursday, then GCSE the following week!

Post by moved »

Results are looming! DS has an AS to come on Thursday and then a big wallop of GCSEs the following week. DD just has one, thank goodness and she is also worrying for DS.

I'm starting to feel the pressure, not helped by OFQUAL stating that science results were going down this year. :|
neveragain*

Re: A2/AS results on Thursday, then GCSE the following week!

Post by neveragain* »

Yes, feeling the pressure here with DD waiting for A2 results to see whether she into Cambridge.......... :?
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Lots of fingers crossed for everyone's results x x x x x

Dd1 has all her GCSEs next week, and dd2 has 3. We'll be going to dd1's school first, and then dd2's art 10.30. Have booked lunch out :-)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Don't forget us poor teachers that have this 'agony' every year!
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Yes Guest 55, I know! I don't forget you at all! :D

It must be really really hard. My DD's teacher emailed me to say that the waiting for hard working students is agony and that he feels inwardly distraught when those that ' deserve' the grades don't get them......

Thanks to all the teachers out there, and good luck to all DC!
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Good luck to all parents and students ...and teachers, waiting for results
aliportico wrote: Dd1 has all her GCSEs next week, and dd2 has 3.
Alicoporto, your remark make me fear of the strategy at my DS's grammar where 'just' 10 GCSEs are taken, all in year 12. At my DD's grammar 5 years ago, the girls were sitting a couple more of GCSEs or half GCSEs, some taken in year 11.The system was working well so I do not understand why some schools make the choice of 'just' 10 GCSEs all taken in year 12. Aren't these children at a disadvantage? My DS's grammar is far better placed in the league tables than my DD's one... So I fail to understand the whole thing... :(
This article shows some different strategies some schools adopt - I do feel all that very scary!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23521378" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Any reaction to that from persons who have a good understanding of the system?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Wow, some of the figures in this article are astonishing. IGSE English entries more than quadrupling in one year. 25% of GCSE Maths entries are under 16! DG
Torrylee

Post by Torrylee »

JaneEyre wrote:Any reaction to that from persons who have a good understanding of the system?
I wouldn't worry, JaneEyre. Both DD and DS are at 'superselective top-of-the league-table' grammar schools and neither of their schools take GCSEs early. DS did 11 GCSEs in Y11 (do you mean Y11 rather than Y12?!). I don't think it puts them at a disadvantage, some people would argue that it's harder to sit all your final exams at once rather than having done some early so perhaps universities take this into account? I think there are arguments for and against. Obviously if results are disappointing then there is less opportunity to resit if you haven't taken them early. Although it is always worth talking to the school about whether it is appropriate to have an exam remarked - DS was encouraged to have one of his two GCSE RS papers remarked last year and it came back graded a full 10 percentage points higher which I found quite startling. A number of boys at his school had similar experiences that year in RS :?

Best wishes to all those with DCs waiting for results. We are waiting for AS results which somehow doesn't seem as bad as waiting for GCSE results was last year, and no doubt waiting for A2 results next year will be really nerve wracking :shock:
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Torrylee wrote:(do you mean Y11 rather than Y12?!).
Oh thanks, torrylee! :D I did indeed get mixed up :oops:
editing:
at my DS's grammar where 'just' 10 GCSEs are taken, all in year 11. At my DD's grammar 5 years ago, the girls were sitting a couple more of GCSEs or half GCSEs, some taken in year 10.The system was working well so I do not understand why some schools make the choice of 'just' 10 GCSEs all taken in year 11.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's quality of grades not quantity - universities only look at the top 8 anyway in most cases.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now