GCSE Stress and Panic

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Minesh

Re: GCSE Stress and Panic

Post by Minesh »

Quite the opposite

My son has just gone into year 11. He seems to be quited stressed and worried about the exams ahead. Has anyone been in this situation, Any advice will be appreciated.

DC is very laid back - which as mentioned here feels worse! DC prepared to do homework and some revision for unit tests etc but nothing else despite nagging. - told me only first weekend in
Is this enough, Guest 55?

Our son's friend (comprehensive in Pinner) ended up with 9A*s and 5 As (Latin counts as 2 and Further maths GCSE) - that boy did very little - how do these people do it?
any thoughts?
Amber

Post by Amber »

that boy did very little - how do these people do it?
How do you know what he did?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Minesh - if the teaching is good then the teachers will know exactly how much homework etc to give.

There is no need for Year 11 to be stressful but it will be an additional challenge this year with all exams at the end of the course.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Snowdrops wrote:I'm worried now.

My dd takes her GCSE's this year and so far I've not had any feedback from her. She is the sort to do what needs to be done and gets on with it, but I wonder should I be encouraging/enquiring/supportive. I'd hate to leave things how they are when a little suggestion here or there may make a difference. On the other hand I don't want to add to the pressure either.

Hmmmmm, I shall ponder upon this now.
It was much the same (times 2) here - must be a Yorkshire thing.
:roll:
mind you, kids don't have never discussed school work much :oops:
Amber

Post by Amber »

hermanmunster wrote:It was much the same (times 2) here - must be a Yorkshire thing.
:roll:
No, here too - but I am Yorkshire at heart (trying to spend a big birthday there later this year as it is where I want to be more than anywhere)!
Snowdrops, if she is happy, leave her - independence and the ability to organise herself are very valuable qualities. Don't undermine these by hovering over her - she will let you know if she needs you and it is far better than having a helpless one who expects you to jump in and bail them out at every setback. :D
moved

Post by moved »

DS got results that were good, but not as good as they could have been. He thought GCSEs were boring, so didn't study. Results day and the night before were stressful as he knew he hadn't done his best. It was his choice and his lesson to learn.

So far, so good for A level study. He is studying his own choice of subjects and the content is already much more interesting.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now