GCSE A*/A Results Summary for State and Independent schools

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
miniwheels70

GCSE A*/A Results Summary for State and Independent schools

Post by miniwheels70 »

Hello,

Following on from my visualisation of the School A-Level results a couple of weeks ago (this has just been updated to include Independent school results - http://public.tableausoftware.com/views ... _count=yes), this visualisation shows the results of state and independent schools in achieving A*/A at GCSE.

http://public.tableausoftware.com/views ... _count=yes

I have obtained data from The Telegraph for state and independent schools to produce a visualisation combining the school data and ranking them by % of pupils achieving A*/A. This measure was chosen because it was available for both state and independent schools, so a fair comparison was possible.

As stated in the original articles, the data exists for 139 selective state schools, 245 comprehensive schools and 405 independent schools.

Data for these tables have been supplied directly to The Telegraph by the schools. Some results were excluded from the list because of incomplete data

You can search by School Name and filter by school type or gender.

Hope this will be interesting to some people.

Again, I am not suggesting that results are the be-all and end-all for selecting school, it's just one of many factors parents weigh up for their children, as I did with my 3 kids.
However, making this information easily available and accessible to parents is something I strongly believe in.

Please feel free to NOT LOOK at these visualisations if you are offended by comparative lists of schools based on a single measure of success.

Thanks
mystery

Re: GCSE A*/A Results Summary for State and Independent scho

Post by mystery »

Thank you. That is helpful.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

miniwheels - these tables are based on NO measure.

You cannot measure schools without a common ruler.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I agree. But it is still in some way useful to a reader, who is aware of many of the possible pitfalls, as a bit of a starting point before some more detailed research.

A lot of statistics can be pulled apart - not just school ones - but they still can have some uses with the right caveats.

For example, if you wanted to pay for an independent school and know that there was a chance of an able child getting a good percentage of A and A* you wouldn't pick a selective independent school that had a very low percentage of As and A* according to this table.

I would also look at the individual subject results for each school, and try and get some feel as what the children are like on entry. This is much easier now with state schools as they have split up the DfE performance tables so that you can see how low, middle, and high attainers on entry have progressed. I would also look at A* on their own --- in this particular table Brighton College would move much lower down the table on that basis.

Of course this table is on a vague start to something or other. The results in it could be wrong, many schools have not submitted, the top schools could have booted out loads of kids etc etc. But it still gives you some kind of feel.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Guest55 wrote:miniwheels - these tables are based on NO measure.

You cannot measure schools without a common ruler.
Another concise response from G55. Could have saved more time by just putting "wrong" though as elsewhere? :D

I do hope we don't have a common ruler. So far as I know, the Queen is not a commoner.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

Miniwheels, thanks for processing the data. There are learned people on this forum who can make necessary inference from this data.

Thanks.
Maria1

Post by Maria1 »

Someone posted this link a while back which lists GCSE results for all schools in England. You need to scroll down and click on Underlying data link to view. These are the results for 2009/2010. I have been trying to locate the link for more recent results but without success. Maybe you will have more luck! Please let me know if you do manage to locate more recent results.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... 10-revised" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now