GCSE Science

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Proud_Dad

GCSE Science

Post by Proud_Dad »

Can anyone explain how science is taught at GCSE these days.

When I were a lad it was split between the seperate disciplines - Physics, Chemistry and Biology - and you could choose to take some or all of these as seperate GCSEs.

From what I understand though these days its taught under a single subject "Science", but you can choose to take it as multiple GCSE's. Is that correct?

How does it work exactly? Does each science option include a bit of each?
Guest55

Re: GCSE Science

Post by Guest55 »

Core Science is one paper on Biology (B1), one of Chemistry (C1) and one of Physics (P1); the three papers are usually taught by different teachers.

Additional Science is one paper on Biology (B2), one of Chemistry (C2) and one of Physics (P2); again these are usually taught separately.

To do triple Science and end up with a GCSE Biology, Chemistry and Physics you need to take three more papers called, guess what, B3, C3 and P3.
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

So if you were hoping to do any science A levels would you normally be expected to have triple science at GCSE?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It is helpful, yes. Some school accept double Science but there will be gaps in knowledge.
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

So if for example you wanted to study Physics at A level, but had no interest in Biology, you should still consider doing triple science as this would give you the best Physics background, even though it would also mean studying a full Biology syllabus that you might not be interested in?

In other words it is not possible to get say a full Physics GCSE without also getting a full Chemistry and Biology GCSE? Is that right?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I don't know a school that would offer that. My DS did triple Science GCSE but only took Chemistry and Physics to A level.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

In answer to your question about taking Physics GCSE without Biol GCSE for eg, Proud-dad, the answer is...as Guest 55 states, the subjects are now classified as Science which is available as single award, double award or triple award. The minimum requirement to continue with an A level in a Science is double award GCSE (which covers all 3 subjects in more detail than single award but in less detail than triple award!) I would recommend that any student considering taking a Science A level seriously consider taking the TRIPLE award science as that is the closest to the 3 O Levels that you (probably) and I did and gives the best grounding. Certainly the GS in our area insists all children take triple award.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Proud_Dad wrote:So if you were hoping to do any science A levels would you normally be expected to have triple science at GCSE?

Some schools insist on having triple science, some accept double so it is best to check. I think DDs school used to insist but don't any more. Our local comp didn't even offer triple until recently, which one was of several reasons for DD not to go there.
My sister is a science teacher. She finds it ridiculous that some sixth forms insist on triple science. Hers doesn't and she finds that many of her 'double award' students outperform those that did triple. However as G55 points out, there are probably some gaps in their knowledge. Obviously not insurmountable though.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Why did they get rid of the three separate sciences...have to say I am v confused, this is all ahead of us.
You used to be able to select which science you wanted to pursue and which you wanted to dump didn't you? Was it because of the uk' s adversity to physics?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I can't exactly remember but in the dim recesses of my brain..of which there are many...I seem to recall that there was a heavy bent towards Biol at GCSE - this then led to issues when kids realised that for various careers eg medicine, Chem A level was essential and engineering for eg, Phys A level was essential and that Biol at GCSE wasn't that helpful! I think the idea behind the combined Science was that those who weren't great at Science would take single, as they then wouldn't be taking it further anyway and those who had a leaning towards science careers would take double or triple and would then be able to choose whichever A level Science subjects they needed
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now